We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling times help required

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
travelling times help required

We are seniors coming to WA soon. Staying 7 nights. Am not sure of travel times between places? Hope to see whales and wildflowers in SWest.Itinery possibly 1st night Perth 2and 3 Albany 4 Pemberton? 5 and 6 Margaret River 7 Busselton. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

sydney
Level Contributor
659 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling times help required

I used the following site for driving times between places on our recent trip. Seemed fairly accurate....

www.multimap.com/map/aproute.cgi…

So many great things to do in the Sth West. I thought Fremantle was better than Perth itself and I loved the MR region.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling times help required

Hi

Give you some distances and drivingtimes:

1. Perth-Albany. 425 kms/5 hours

2.Albany-Pemberton 250 kms/3 hours

3.Pemberton-Margaret River 125 kms/1.5 hours

4.Margaret River-Busselton 50 kms/45 min.

5.Busselton-Perth 250 kms/3 hours.

Locals will drive it faster I'm sure but you are on holidays!

Have fun

Tet

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling times help required

Tet's got the timings pretty right, except it's only about 2.5 hours Busselton to Perth. I'd miss out moving from Margaret River to Busselton - you can do that as a day trip from MR, then drive MR to Perth - approx 3 hours.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling times help required

Thanks everyone. Am I right in thinking the drive to Albany looks quite easy straight and flat or is that just a woman map reader?. Also is the road Albany to Pemberton twisty &hilly? Is it possible to see whales anywhere else? Is it worth driving to Albany.Seems to be lots of good accommodation around the Margaret River area. We have already booked Abbey beach resort for $105 A NIGHTfor our last night so are tied to that.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling times help required

Whales are moving down the coast now and you may possibly see them anywhere along the south coast. They have occasionally been see from the beaches of the Perth metro area which causes quite a traffic jam. Whale watching tours are available from Hillary's Boat Harbour

According to www.whalewatching.com, "in late April, they travel from the food-rich southern ocean to breeding grounds in the warm northern waters.

Then, in August, they return south to the cold seas to grow and mature.

Top vantage points and charter vessels can be found in Albany, Broome, Exmouth, Hillarys, Denham and Geographe Bay.

In Western Australia you're most likely to spot a humpback, southern right or blue whale on a whale watching tour. The best time to observe these serene mammals is at midday, when the sun is directly overhead.

Whale watching in Flinder's Bay in early June, see humpback and southern right whales cavorting in Flinders Bay Augusta as they head for warm waters to mate and breed.

Then, in September, head to Dunsborough to see rare blue whales and calves take refuge in the calm waters of Geographe Bay.

Albany is a haven for humpback and southern right whales, which mate and calve off the south coast.

During October, whales can be spotted frolicking and playing in King George Sound (Albany)".

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling times help required

Driving to Albany is as easy as it gets!

Albany Highway starts in Perth and its a straight run all teh way from memory.

If you set off early, Mount Barker (about 4 hrs down the road from Perth) is a nice place to stop for lunch

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling times help required

Hi Gooz

Albany-Pemberton:

We drove from Albany (this town certainly is worth a visit)

to Denmark first. The road was lush and hilly but not steep or twisty. Then to Walpole NP. We walked the Tree Top Walk which I would highly recommend. A must do and not scary walking. Just awesome.

We also did some other short hikes in this area. Then to Pemberton through Shannon NP but we did not stop. Good accomodation in Pemberton. We stayed at the Karri Forest Motel. Good place, maybe look at their website. We did some short hiking in the Karri forest and did NOT climb Gloucester Tree. You will see why. Nothing for us seniors. But you'll have to see this tree!

You easily can spend a day between Albany and Pemberton or stay longer. It's a nice region. In Albany I can recommend a visit to Whaleworld, a Whaling Museum.

BTW: Great post Perthite!! We're also fans of these great mammals. Our Hervey Bay trip was unforgettable.

Tet

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling times help required

Hi, Thank you everyone for helping us with our enquiries.Your advice has reassured me as friends said Albany was too far to travel and now I feel we can confidently book our trip. Looking forward to our whales and wildflowers .Cheers.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travelling times help required

Have a great trip and enjoy!

10. Re: travelling times help required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, August 20, 2009