We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

perth suburb

wALES
5 posts
Save Topic
perth suburb

hi me and my family are moving to perth next september. I have a 10 year old boy and a 4 year old girl .Thinking about Willetton area or close to.Help info on schools and Willtton in general many thanks . katherine and kevin.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,183 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: perth suburb

Rossmoyne Senior High School (near Willetton) has an excellent reputation, as does Willeton SHS. My inlaws were among the first to build in Willetton 40 years ago and it is a really nice area. I would recommend not making any hard and fast decisions until you actually get here, and would also recommend being sure you are in the catchment area for Rossmoyne if education is a priority.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
658 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: perth suburb

Willetton Senior High School has a very good reputation as well.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,930 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: perth suburb

I live in Parkwood which is the next suburb across from Willetton. Your children are too young for HS yet but there are good Primary Schools in the area. Both Rostrata and Willetton are supposed to be good. There are a number of private schools in the vicinity as well.

Shopping is excellent - a number of small centres as well as larger ones such as Southlands, Carousel and Garden City all within a radius of 10 minutes driving time.

Buses are good and it will be relatively easy to drive to and catch the new train when it finally starts. Freeway and highway structure around here is great. It is easy to get to any of the major routes and be across the other side of the city in a relatively short time these days, depending on the time of day of course.

wALES
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: perth suburb

Thanks all for your info just a couple of more question to ask.How old are the children when they start high school. What are the average rental prices for a three bed house with pool in Parkwood area .When flying how much weight allowance are you allowed and do children have same weight allowance.Flying from UK to OZ.I have also been told that it gets dark at 7.30 in the evening throughout the year is this true.

Me and hubby are big rugby union fans are there any good local sides we should know about. thanks Swanseajacs

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,930 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: perth suburb

Rental in Parkwood/Willeton 3 and a pool around $260pw. Have a look at www.reiwa.com. Rentals are in high demand, prices are going up and there is not much outlook for this to change. Have great references and be prepared to be flexible for the best chance.

www.rugbywa.com.au Western Force is our (WA) national Super14s team and they are very popular, although we (WA) are a mad AFL state. You will find plenty of people who will talk any type of football with you in Oz. We watch everything in our house (except Rugby League).

Children's schooling depends on their birthdate.Goes from July to June and they start Primary School in the year they turn 6. i.e. if their birthday is July then they will start school the following January. However if their birthday is June, they will start the preceding January.

Year 8 is the first year of High School and children are turning 13 using the above formula. Have a look at

www.det.wa.edu.au/education/

If you come Sept 07 , your youngest will be in Kindergarten (Kindy then Pre Primary then Primary then HS - 5 years comp ) and your eldest in Year 4 on my reckoning. (However I would actually interpret next Sept as 08?)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,930 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: perth suburb

Forgot the weight bit. Depends on the airline. The following is Emirates policy and is taken from their website. You will find most of the more popular non discount type airlines adhere to these limits.

"Checked baggage allowance

First, Business and Economy Class passengers on Emirates flights are allowed 40 kgs, 30 kgs and 20 kgs of free baggage respectively.

Infants (not entitled to a seat) are allowed 10 kgs free baggage regardless of class of travel (one checked bag not exceeding 115 cms [45 inches] in total dimension).

Baggage in excess of these allowances will be carried subject to space and weight availability on the aircraft. Excess baggage is subject to charges at the published tariffs.

For journeys to and from USA, its Territories and Canada, restrictions on the number of checked baggage pieces, as well as the weight and dimensions of each piece apply.

32 kgs (70 lbs) baggage limit

Certain airports, including Dubai impose restrictions on carriage of baggage whereby no single piece of baggage may exceed_32 kgs (70 lbs) in weight. This however, does not affect the overall free checked baggage allowance per passenger. These restrictions enforced by either airport authorities or ground handling companies, aid in preventing injuries and ensure the safety of baggage handlers.

Some airports that impose this weight restriction include Australia, New Zealand, Cyprus, Malta, UAE, Oman, Qatar, United Kingdom, Mauritius, South Africa, Seychelles and Sri Lanka."

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,183 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: perth suburb

On the getting dark issue it varies with the season. In winter (now) it is starting to get dark around 6pm, in summer about 7.30pm when we aren't experimenting with daylight saving and 8.30pm when we are.

8. Re: perth suburb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, September 05, 2009
;