We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perth...worth it from Sydney if only a short trip?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Perth...worth it from Sydney if only a short trip?

We're going to be in Australia for about 10 days - will fly into Sydney. Is it worth the travel time to go to Perth?

Someday hoping to live and work in Australia - were liberal professionals in our 30's - into politically conscious/environmental scene.

What about NZ? Anyone recommend investing the travel time that direction instead? We want to see as much variety as possible...any ideas appreciated!

Thanks -

Christine and Tom in Portland

perth
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Perth...worth it from Sydney if only a short trip?

Hi Christine and Tom

Perth is about 3500 miles from Sydney. About 4 - 5 hours in a plane.

The two cities are totally different. Sydney is busy and everyone knows Sydney.

Perth is more laid back. Clean, open spaces built on the banks of the Swan River. Perth is currently experiencing a resources boom

mining and building. China is taking a lot of minerals from W A.

Staff shortages everywhere. Perth has mild winters and b....... hot summers. Even though it is Autumn now, temps are between 10 - mid 20's.

Perth is catching up to the East Coast in terms of cost of living, housing etc. Perth does not have the same population as Sydney.

Looking at a map of Western Australia, Perth to Albany is about 6 hours by car. Perth to Kalgoorlie almost 8 hours. Perth to Geraldton about 4 hours.

Perth has tropics in the North, Pearl Farming, Diamond Mining and Market Gardens and Mining. Farming, sheep, cattle, crops in the mid and south sections. Wineries in the South West. Gold mining and nickel in the Kalgoorlie region. Oil and gas fields off the coast

fishing industry for among others lobster, prawns, crabs.

you could look at www.perthtourism.com.au or www.captaincookcruises.com.au to get an idea of touristy things to do., Can't help you with NZ, never been, but have been told it is absolutely beautiful with breathtaking scenery and sights.

Hope this is of some help.

Let me know if I can help some more

kind regards

wendy

perth
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Perth...worth it from Sydney if only a short trip?

Silly me, two other sites worth a peek are www.lookatwa.com.au

and www.perthtourism.com.au

cheers

wendy

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
658 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perth...worth it from Sydney if only a short trip?

Umm... small typo there Wendy I believe, should perhaps read 2500 miles between Sydney and Perth. Still along way if you're on the road though.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perth...worth it from Sydney if only a short trip?

I highly suggest you see Perth if you have the time. Its a lovely sunny city which is more like a big country town with absolutely gorgeous beaches. There are some awesome regions in WA which are stunning to see.

Perth has the same weather as Sydney.

As Wendy mentioned there is a huge shortage of workers in WA.

You could fly home from Perth.

NZ is a beautiful country especially the South Island. You do need at least a week to explore this region. Its however, a lot colder than Australia. If you like skiing then its a must do on your list.

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Perth...worth it from Sydney if only a short trip?

well spa prof.....here goes with a few wild sweeping generalisations.....

for starters the word liberal has a different meaning here to the usa.

Western Australia is the california of the 21st century....Perth is the LA at its heart....it is rampant capitalism territory..the new frontier etc etc...

it ain't cosy,liberal , professional , intelligent , considered, socially conscious territory.

for the pacific north west vibe maybe you should be headed for Byron and hinterland , Tassie,maybe adelaide or canberra.

Parts of new zealand would also meet ur criteria.

perth
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Perth...worth it from Sydney if only a short trip?

Jacko - go bite your big toe!!!!

I was very restrained when I spoke about Sydney, I personally do not like it, however others do. I did not wish to impart my bias when responding to the query.

You, on the other hand, are suggesting these people should go to the dope smoking, dole bludging area in your State!

Perth is professional, is intelligent, is considered, is socially conscious. Don't preach what you don't live and breath.

wendy

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
702 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Perth...worth it from Sydney if only a short trip?

I have never been to Perth so can't really comment on that one though my cousin is working there for 2 years and finds the place very frustrating for various reasons which I won't go into here. It is clean, spacious and has good weather though.

Can I suggest Melbourne as another choice if you are looking to go to another city.

If you want to to go an environmentally conscious, free and liberal kind of town then perhaps Byron Bay and it's surrounding area would be a good place to visit after you have been to Sydney. Great beaches, great weather as well.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perth...worth it from Sydney if only a short trip?

Ellemay,

I beg to differ with your comment on Perth's weather being the same as Sydney. I'm not saying it's better or worse, but it is definitely different.

Spa Prof - it is always worth the time to come to Perth. Don't know how you are planning to fly, but it might be worth investigating the option of flying into Perth (via Asia), then across to Sydney and home from there.

THJ
UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Perth...worth it from Sydney if only a short trip?

Hey guys,

Did Sydney with my wife back in Jan/Feb and we went across to Perth with virginblue - not a bad airline at all and quite reasonable. Perth was OK but everywhere seemed to close VERY early in the evening. Freemantle is well worth a visit as is Rottnest Island. But for us the highlights of WA were further up the coast. We flew with skywest alrlines out of Perth up to Monkey Mia and from there on to Exmouth. Loads of things to do like snorkelling, beach walking and generally chilling. Stunning part of the world and quite similar to California in some respects. We then flew back down to Perth on onwards to Hong Kong.

Hope that helps

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Perth...worth it from Sydney if only a short trip?

I'm a New Zealander living in Perth who also lived in Sydney.

Perth's beautiful very laidback and stunning weather so definatley try and get over here.

Sydney is also a great city but it is primarily a big city and perhaps not quite what your after.

I'm slightly biased hailing from Queenstown New Zealand as i rank NZ highly (and thank you to the above respondents for there nice comments about it) but it could be a little provincial for you, it is a small place although definately stunning

You don't have time to do NZ as well perhaps another trip