We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling, Water Temps, & Wetsuits

Montpellier, France
Level Contributor
5 posts
85 reviews
20 helpful votes
Snorkeling, Water Temps, & Wetsuits

I'm heading to Perth May 4 - 12th. I'm planning to go to Shoalwater Marine Park for Kayaking and snorkeling.

I checked http://www.marine.csiro.au/~lband/AlanPearce/regional/rotto.html and it says the mean surface water temperature is about 22C. I'm from a warmer climate - and I have a shorty wetsuit.

Is that sufficient for that water temperature? Is it necessary?

Thanks!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,399 posts
243 reviews
169 helpful votes
1. Re: Snorkeling, Water Temps, & Wetsuits

Individual decision - I know a person who insisted that swimming in 19 degree water at Perth in August was warm - compared to the Baltic Sea at 16 degrees! Plenty of surfers are happy in the water all winter in wetsuits along the WA coast. Bring your wetsuit.

On a warm day with little wind you will be fine - its the wind chill factor which makes it uncomfortable. The kayaking will be fine but the snorkelling may be briefer.

The snorkelling around Shoalwater Marine Park is far less interesting than along the Ningaloo Reef Marine Park, however you would need to fly because you have only a few days:

https:/…Things.To.Do.html

Montpellier, France
Level Contributor
5 posts
85 reviews
20 helpful votes
2. Re: Snorkeling, Water Temps, & Wetsuits

By "the kayaking will be fine" do you mean "fine without a wetsuit"?

We are flying to Ningaloo Reef for 3 days, so we'll get to snorkel there too.

Thanks!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,399 posts
243 reviews
169 helpful votes
3. Re: Snorkeling, Water Temps, & Wetsuits

Bring your shorty wetsuit so you have the choice on the day. Early morning it will be cool.

During autumn Perth experiences warm, sunny days and cooler nights with average temperatures between 13.7 - 26°C (56.6 - 78.8°F).

holiday-weather.com/perth_au/averages/may/

Montpellier, France
Level Contributor
5 posts
85 reviews
20 helpful votes
4. Re: Snorkeling, Water Temps, & Wetsuits

Thanks!

East Fremantle...
Level Contributor
302 posts
21 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Snorkeling, Water Temps, & Wetsuits

My friends snorkel in May in their wetsuits. They say it's cold but still snorkel.

If you're looking for somewhere else to snorkel I recommend the Coogee eco shark barrier as there's quite a few fish there and it's safe for the turtles and dolphins. A little further up the beach is the Omeo shipwreck easily accessed off the beach and then there's a new snorkel trail starting with a seal statue going all the way out to an underwater temple. The temple is home to seahorses.

Montpellier, France
Level Contributor
5 posts
85 reviews
20 helpful votes
6. Re: Snorkeling, Water Temps, & Wetsuits

Thanks for the great ideas! I'm really looking forward to this trip!

7. Re: Snorkeling, Water Temps, & Wetsuits

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 19, 2018