We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

broome expensive!

West Darlington
Level Contributor
92 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
broome expensive!

Just looked at Qantas fares from Perth to Broome for the long weekend, and had a trawl through the accommodation. Have just been to Bali for less than $800 return airfares for TWO people, and accommodation at between $100 a night for not bad, to $200 a night for luxury. I'm sure the cost structure is higher but I'm not paying $1600 return for airfares and ludicrous amounts for accommodation. Is that because Broome is becoming a mining town like the rest of the north or is this a long weekend thing?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: broome expensive!

Just came across this - we have booked to do the Kimberley Coast aboard Oceanic Discoverer (sister ship to Coral Princess) next year. We decided to go in April so we could see the waterfalls (and they had a good special on these dates - still might be going), might be a bit more humid but figure it is worth it to see the falls at their strongest - and the ship is air-conditioned!. The office told us that June-July was most popular because thats when most people want to head to the warmer weather of the Kimberley and later in the year you can see whales (not so much of interest to us as we have been to Hervey Bay and Kaikoura). We chose Oceanic Discoverer becuase it is a really new ship, 70 odd people only and also does Darwin to Broome so you see the north highlights like King George Falls as well as everything down South like the Kings Cascades and Horizontal Waterfalls. We've also been on Coral Princess's Great Barrier Reef cruise too which was great. We considered Orion as well, but we'd rather do it with an Aussie Company so you dont have to transit via Indonesia or wherever Orion have to go via - and True North was way too pricey for us so Oceanic Discoverer it is!

Broome, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: broome expensive!

Perhaps the cost of airfares should be raised with our mining friends whilst community consultation is still active. I am not an anti-gas activist however living in Broome I have made my concerns known.

Whilst the airfares are expensive, Broome is an amazing place to visit and is a gateway to greater things for anyone with a sense of adventure.

Yes, Bali is cheap and you can live like a king for next to nothing, but in my eyes the Kimberley offers so much more.

At the end of the day I guess it depends whether you want to ignore the downsides of asia on account of the low cost of getting and staying there or support Australian tourism and do yourself a favour by seeing the magical sites ready to be discovered.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: broome expensive!

Broome is expensive for anything to do with tourism.!!

But what I cannot understand is that when we shopped at the Coles supermarket for food, the prices were

almost the same as in Sydney!!

I think that in tourism they are all ripping us off.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: broome expensive!

Coles has national pricing policy.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,396 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: broome expensive!

Suckers in Sydney subsidising bludgers in Broome. Nice :)

Perth
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: broome expensive!

Might be something to do with the distance from the nearest Coles depot and the transport costs to get products to Broome!! Don't think they are deliberately ripping anyone off.

Edited: 6:08 am, July 14, 2013
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: broome expensive!

westhaus...read it again. Coles prices are the same in Broome as they are in Sydney.

city folks should always subsidize us country people.

it's were the food comes from.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,777 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: broome expensive!

Lien that price policy is only on certain basic products - not everything in the store. You can go to 5 different Coles on the same day and buy the same 5 items and you will find them all priced differently.

Fresh stuff in particular costs a lot more in the remote regions of WA due to the trucking costs and laughably - local produce costs more in the region it comes from - and nope I have no explanation for that.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,876 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: broome expensive!

I agree with PP, we get the specials which are advertised within the state or nationally, but it is on other items, that we often pay significantly more for.....most especially fruit and vegetables.

Broome
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: broome expensive!

Hi Morticia, you could also look at ""One Tide" charters that operate out from Derby. They are a much smaller operation that's been in the Kimberley for years and would suit a group looking to book out the entire boat. You camp on land rather then on the boat and they're not as luxurious as the big boats but being smaller can get into a lot of places that others can't (& are cheaper as well). The other advantage in going from Derby is that it's much, much closer to the Bucanner islands that Broome is.