We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broome to Fiztroy via Windjina and Tunnel Creek

Which Broome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buckingham
Level Contributor
298 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Broome to Fiztroy via Windjina and Tunnel Creek

Hello again.

At Route planning stage now so I am sure more questions to follow

Geting my head round distances at the moment and am I being too rushed to Leave Broome nice and early, head to Derby and onto the Gibb River road then down to Windjina - spend a good hour having a look around and then down to Tunnel Greek, spending another good hour going through the tunnel and then heading on down to Fiztroy and the camp ground.

Could I include an afternoon boat tour of Geikie gorge or is that really pushing it?

Next morning would like to either do the cruise and then push on via Halls creek to either the new campsite at the entrance to the bungles or even make it to one of the campsites in the bungles - then planning on 3 nights and taking things a bit easier.

Will have 4WD and we are early birds (have noted warnings about stray cattle etc on the road)

Any comments welcome

Bea

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,780 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Broome to Fiztroy via Windjina and Tunnel Creek

Broome to Derby 220 kms good sealed road. say 2.5 hours There was bridge works in progress but they should be finished by early July. If going into Derby for a look around allow at least 1 hour, easy to spend more time there. Derby to Windjana NP 140 kms, about half on a sealed but narrower road so travel slower then generally a good gravel road say just under 2 hours. Stay 1 hour.

To Tunnel Creek NP about 30 kms allow 45 minutes. Say 1 hour. NP to Fitzroy Crossing 100 kms 38 kms on sealed highway remainder gravel and it was in not as good condition as the first section allow 1.5 hours. Depends when or if the grader has been over the track. Do able but you might want to spend more time at the gorges.

You would be late for the Gieke Gorge tour unless there is a sunset one but why rush so much when you are on a holiday.

Next day not sure of tour times and length but it is 290 kms to Halls Creek on a good sealed road then about 4 hours in to the Ranger station, the last 2.5 hours requiring 4WD. Also time will depend on the track in after the Wet,

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,577 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Broome to Fiztroy via Windjina and Tunnel Creek

Also depends if it has been raining. When we did this trip after rain we barely got through and had 4x4 engaged for quite a few kms. The road was closed a few hours later.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Broome to Fiztroy via Windjina and Tunnel Creek

There isn't a new campsite at the entrance to the Bungle Bungles- only Walardi and Kurrajong inside the park. Both get busy and campsites fill up early so i'd get there as early as you can to avoid having to share a site. The road from Tunnel Creek to Windjana isn't very long but parts are rough and parts are black soil country, so be careful- take your time. I reckon Windjana Gorge deserves much more than 1 hour too- there are fossilised remains in the rock- quite fascinating. And Freshies sunbathing through the gorge. It's a full day to go from Broome, to Derby, Windjana Gorge and then Tunnel Creek. There's no way you'll do all this and make it to Fitzroy unless you want to drive in the dark ! We usually depart Broome, go to Derby, then to Windjana Gorge where we set camp up and then spend the afternoon at Tunnel Creek, which is worth a few hours exploration (wear shoes with grip for the climb into the tunnel and they will get wet as you have to wade through water in the tunnel). Day 2 i would drive to Fitzroy and take an afternoon cruise before overnight at Fitzroy River Lodge. Day 3 will be driving to the Bungles- it will take you all day. Remember the big distances involved and it's peak season so there's a fair bt of traffic on the Great Northern Highway and campsites are busy. Have a great trip.

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Red Centre
Level Contributor
801 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Broome to Fiztroy via Windjina and Tunnel Creek

Hi,

I worked as a tour guide in the Kimberley for several years, and have holidayed there as well so have done a few variations of this.

An early start out of Broome will put you at Windjana in time for a late lunch, assuming you've also included a bit of a look around Derby on the way. certainly too late to make it to Fitzroy safely. On another trip with my parents a few years ago we overnighted in Derby and made it through to Fitzroy, arriving just on sunset, but they found it to be a pretty long day.

There is a rudimentary camping area at the entrance to the Bungles - a roadside stop that has expanded over the years and has a couple of long drop toilets. It's very popular with caravanners who park up the van and do a day trip into the Bungles from there. The night we camped there we shared it with easily 40 or 50 other vehicles. That was 2 years ago, so it's possible more facilities have been added by now.

Fitzroy to Halls Creek is about 3 hours, then an hour to the Bungles turn off and another 3 hours or so from there, depending on the road.

If you can get hold of Ron & Viv Moon's Kimberley Guide, it's the best there is. http://www.guidebooks.com.au/about.htm

Enjoy!

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Red Centre
Level Contributor
801 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Broome to Fiztroy via Windjina and Tunnel Creek

An update on the roadside stop at the Bungles turn-off. In another post today I read of the newly opened Bungle Bungle Caravan Park. Not before time!

http://www.bunglebunglecaravanpark.com.au/

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,577 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Broome to Fiztroy via Windjina and Tunnel Creek

Hey looks great!!!. I agree a much needed addition to the area.

Buckingham
Level Contributor
298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Broome to Fiztroy via Windjina and Tunnel Creek

thats the one that I found !! well done for posting the link.

Thank you for all the help tp date guys

Bea

8. Re: Broome to Fiztroy via Windjina and Tunnel Creek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, October 06, 2012