We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goombaragin Eco Retreat

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Goombaragin Eco Retreat

Hi, cannot find any posts on this - can someone give us some feedback on this retreat? Thanks!

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,204 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goombaragin Eco Retreat

Never been there, but it's in a lovely area on the peninsular.

Broome, Austra
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Goombaragin Eco Retreat

Hi SJB2010

Absolutely beautiful part of the country up there! The people that run the retreat are lovely and the area is amazing!

More pics and info here;

broomevisitorcentre.com.au/accom_result1/…

BVC

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goombaragin Eco Retreat

Booked and paid to stay there months ahead of time but when the actual date came around our Eco Chalet was already occupied and there were no other cabins available. Owner had "gone fishing" for the day. We had to drive all the way back to Broome to find another place to stay.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,204 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goombaragin Eco Retreat

Now that is not a good story. I hope you have written the owner/manager for an explanation. I am so sorry to hear this.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goombaragin Eco Retreat

Based on comments by Trish, I would recommend you ring and confirm when you arrive in Broome assuming you are flying in?

This place is 160 ks up Cape Leveque road, a long way north of Broome (possibly 2 to 3 hours drive, depending on road condition?) up near remote Cape Leveque and One Arm Point. You may not be aware that the road is not sealed 30 ks out of Broome, its red, red dirt for the other 130+ ks so you cannot drive fast. Our max speed was up to 90 kph (uncomfortable) when we last visted Beagle Bay on this road and we did not maintain that speed due to road conditions. If you are hiring a car to drive there from Broome airport, just make sure you pay the extra for a 4WD otherwise all insurances on a normal hire car will be void if you take it off bitumen roads.

Depending on what you want to do, check where else you might be able to go to eat for example, while you are there - isolated resorts can be great for some people for completely undisturbed getaways but for others like me, it would be more like being a captive audience.

Edited: 3:44 am, August 23, 2011
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goombaragin Eco Retreat

ouch! read your review, trish. no wonder people get p'd off with the australian tourism industry sometimes. u do your best to spend the $ at home then the 'she'll be right' attitude kicks u in the backside. hope u get the money back soon.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,204 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goombaragin Eco Retreat

Fortunately, the unsealed part of ths road is now only around 80kms, so it's an improvement, but not if your booking is not honoured when you arrive. Yes, best to confirm ahead of time, before trying to check-in anywhere.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goombaragin Eco Retreat

I actually had confirmed our dates at Goombaragin before leaving home. We traveled up from Broome on the awesome Cape Leveque Road (an adventure in itself, but it was in much better condition than last year having been graded in many sections) and spent 4 nights up at Kooljaman at Cape Leveque first. We had been to Kooljaman last year and loved it but thought we might explore a bit more of the peninsula this year. Whilst at Kooljaman, we went to Lombardina, to One Arm Point and the Trochus Hatchery and to Cygnet Bay Pearl Farm, and enjoyed touring the area in the beaut 4Wd we had hired. Then we headed down to Goombaragin for what was supposed to be 2 more nights on the peninsula before returning to Broome. Big mistake! LOL

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,204 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goombaragin Eco Retreat

Hm well that is pretty upsetting.

Yes the peninsular is a wonderful place....the beach at Cape Leveque is probably our all time favourite...it's the squeaky sand that I love.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goombaragin Eco Retreat

I know that sand! We found some at Lucky Bay near Esperance.

Get answers to your questions about Broome