We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gibb River Road

Australia
Level Contributor
396 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Gibb River Road

Hi, would like some advice please on tours to Kimberleys. We're looking at a tour flying from Broome to Kununurra then 4wd tour including Lake Argyle down to Bungle Bungles, Geike Gorge, Halls Creek then to Broome. It doesn't include Gibb River Road. Would we be better to do the tour from Broome to Bungle Bungles which comes back over the Gibb River Road, but doesn't go as far as Kununurra, so we would miss Lake Argyle and the Ord River which I have been told is spectacular. Any advice please.

Mentioned in this post
Broome
Broome
Kimberley Region, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,418 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Gibb River Road

Between late May and late September

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,569 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Gibb River Road

Yes, I agree, but this year, there's a chance May could be too early, if we get the predicted wet Wet. Makes it hard if you are wanting to get bookings in place soon, but I'd look to push it back to June or July in case there's a lot of drying out needed.

Now that I've said that, we'll probably have a dry Wet...weather....

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,888 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Gibb River Road

Trip booked to leave Perth on 6th May, we are making our way up hoping to reach the GRR about 20 days later so that will make it eand of May time, fingers crossed!!!

We leave from Perth 26th Aug so we have a bit of time for 'eventualities'

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,569 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Gibb River Road

Best wishes and I'll keep my fingers crossed for an easing of the rains early in the year and good sunny days.....

Australia
Level Contributor
396 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Gibb River Road

Is it worth doing the Argyle Diamond mine tour or maybe just a scenic flight?

Edited: 6:38 am, October 18, 2010
Broome, Austra
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Gibb River Road

The best time to do this kind of trip would be sometime after June. The roads around the Kimberley close in the wet season due to the rain, and generally open sometime in April or May, so June is generally a safe time to come unless we have a late rain. June, July and August are lovely months to visit the region, September is also quite nice weather but it can be a bit dry. October is starting to warm up, and early rains may make the roads difficult or impassable. November onwards the roads will be closed.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Gibb River Road

Hi there, check out my on line book Girt by Dirt about travelling around Australia by 4WD, including Gibb River Road, and feel free to ask any questions.

http://girtbydirt.idx.com.au/

Cheers

Phil

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,888 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Gibb River Road

Wow, just started reading the brilliant link in the above post, it's sooooooooooo interesting, I think I will have to sit and read it all when I'm not trying to get dinner ready!!

Very well written and informative Downunderbro, sounds like you had a wonderful trip, hope ours is as good!!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Gibb River Road

Thanks - it was the time of my life. Enjoy. Any if you know of any sites that can link it or how it can be more visible in Google searches, please let me know!

Edited: 1:19 am, October 29, 2010
20. Re: Gibb River Road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 28, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Broome