We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel has incorrectly cancelled my accommodation!!!!!!

Brisbane
12 posts
Save Topic
Hotel has incorrectly cancelled my accommodation!!!!!!

In Nov 2006, I went to a travel agency & booked and paid for air fare to Broome for August 2007. I also booked accommodation. However, I managed to get a substantially better deal for accommodation rate myself, by ringing the hotel direct, and this was confirmed to me via an email from the hotel 1.5 hours after I made the phone call. I subsequently advised travel bureau that I was not proceeding with their accommodation booking. Last week, I sent email to hotel making an enquiry - and you guessed it, hotel has no booking for me!! Apparently, when Qantas advised that the booking through them was no longer required, they cancelled ALL my bookings!! This in fact, means that a third party has cancelled my actual booking. The Qantas booking and cancellation numbers are the same - my confirmation number for booking direct with hotel is totally different, and is a hotel confirmation number. Yet the hotel insist they are the same. Even my travel agent cannot convince them. Now I have NO hotel accommodation, have non refundable air tickets and non refundable tours booked - and cannot find ANY accommodation in Broome (perhaps the local park bench might be available). I booked early to get a GOOD hotel, and a GOOD room - now a much looked forward to holiday has turned into a nightmare. Hotel is now saying I NEVER rang and booked direct with them (despite my clear and irrefutable proof) - they are ADAMANT that Qantas is the only one who has ever booked for me. I don't appreciate being called a liar - and now that hotel is totally booked out. Where do I go from here???? Is there a governing body - apart from Consumer Afairs - I can go to?

Outback Spirit
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Absolute Ocean Charters
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Karma IV
Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Day Trips
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel has incorrectly cancelled my accommodation!!!!!!

Thats bloody outrageous!

i cant help you with any advice but maybe you could give us their name and publicly humiliate and SHAME them! I just dont think this conduct is acceptable, frankly, and wish you luck with sorting it out.

Hmmm...dont folk usually go on to A Current Affair when these things happen? if you're desparate you could consider that....it's usually the case that everything gets sorted out once they get involved!

Good luck anyway :-)

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel has incorrectly cancelled my accommodation!!!!!!

Am I missing something? You have an e-mail from the hotel confirming your booking, yet they deny it? Unfortunately, confusion can reign when you make a booking with one organisation, make another booking, which will be identical to the first one and then cancel the first one. Busy staff will not double check or confirm that one of the bookings is still required.

If the hotel is a major chain, try to contact the national head office, the only thing you can do if they won't change their mind is camp in their lobby. Not overly helpful, I know, but not sure what else to suggest. Otherwise try the WA department of consumer protection at

www.docep.wa.gov.au/default_cp.asp…

Brisbane
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel has incorrectly cancelled my accommodation!!!!!!

It is not just the cancelled accommodation that I am upset about, and object to - it is the fact that the hotel ABSOLUTELY and categorically deny that I EVER rang and booked direct. Funny you mention about going to a Current Affair - my boss says the same thing. The hotel is not part of a chain. My boss managed to find the name of the General Manager of the place, and I have sent a lengthy letter, registered and person to person to them (with all accompanying proof) so that only they can sign for the letter. I have asked for a satisfactory resolution or I will be taking the matter to WA consumer Affairs - and to a few current affair shows. Yes I do know human error does happen - but there appears to be a concerted effort now to cover themselves by saying I never made a booking (thank heaven I keep full records!!) Someone has simply assumed things without checking, and I am the poor bunny who is lumped with it. Go one step further - what if I hadn't checked? And no - I am not just going to go all that way and have them shunt me into some little back room. I have booked for a peak period, and checks even know show absolutely nothing available. Putting it simply - Qantas booked with booking number 12345. I booked direct with the hotel and got confirmation XYZ. Qantas then cancelled booking 12345. The hotel then cancelled BOTH. In other words, the hotel has permitted a third party to cancel MY booking, without my approval. There is no difference between me ringing up to cancel your accommodation.

The moral of the story - ALWAYS, ALWAYS confirm a confirmation!!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel has incorrectly cancelled my accommodation!!!!!!

Your State Law Association will probably have a very cheap service that will type a letter to the hotel for you on legal letterhead stating what you have told us. I know they do here. A politely worded legal letter does the trick in 99.999% of the time along with, as you have done, dropping the CA or TT words.

You could also try contacting one of the big chains that are up their and explaining your predicament, what you intend to do and if they help you out you would be MORE than willing to sing their praises on national TV whilst crapping on the other from a great height.... Money can't buy advertising like that...

Hope it all works out for you. Let us know how you get on.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel has incorrectly cancelled my accommodation!!!!!!

youve got your email confirmation, what did they say, that you typed the email yourself??

i wouldnt stay with them after this hapening, id be too scared to.

name and shame is the trick here!!

and see if you can get any sympathy from the media and or press.or another hotel/resort!!

good luck.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,695 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel has incorrectly cancelled my accommodation!!!!!!

sounds like you had a complete package deal. Have you read the finer details, unfortunately with today's travelling procedures which is also fab but annoying, it can cause huge problems.

You MUST READ everything, and you MUST have a confirmation number on PAPER. If you do then its not your problem but the hotels. Verbal communication is NOT enough today when it comes to travelling

1) Have everything in writing, confirmation number is a MUST. Do not accept anything less than this.

2) Confirmation - on e-mail is fine - but you MUST print it out and have it within easy reach / on hand....anywhere in the world. (trust me, I have learn't the hard way !).

3) Tjis also includes all plane and travel itineraries,

EVERYTHING CONFIRMED AND ON PAPER>

7. Re: Hotel has incorrectly cancelled my accommodation!!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, September 02, 2009