We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alice to Broome

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
19 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Alice to Broome

I'm looking for a way to do the Tanami track (Alice to Broome) in march 2013. I would like to visit aboriginal artists' communities on the way.

Any suggestions?

Anne

Wentworth Falls...
Level Contributor
172 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alice to Broome

Are you thinking of driving yourself or thinking of joining an organised tour or transport?

We drive the Tanami track, Broome to Alice including stoping 2 nights at the Aboriginal community of Balgo, we did call into some of the other communities but did not stay overnight.

I personally do not know of any regular organised tours that you can join but from time to time you can join tours that travel this section but especially if you want to visit communities my suggestion is drive your own four wheel drive even if rented and you may have to consider returning to save one a one way fee.

The dive is certainly worth it a great adventure but end that you should also not consider alone, don't know if you have some, multiple people going?

Jason

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alice to Broome

March is not a good time to drive due to the extreme heat and the police may not allow it, especially for a lone traveller. Fuel is another problem as Rabbit Flat is now closed. Also to visit many Aboriginal Communities permission from the local council is required prior plus a permit to travel through aboriginal land. see http://www.dia.wa.gov.au/en/Entry-Permits/ Some communities you can stop at to buy provisions without a permit.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
19 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alice to Broome

Hi and thanks for your reply and advice.

I'm thinking of joining a group, and have actually found one called Spirit Safaris.

Looks like it will have to be later than march....

Cheers Anne

4. Re: Alice to Broome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, December 16, 2013