We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are some overrated travel sights/destinations in WA?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
What are some overrated travel sights/destinations in WA?

Here's my list:

Wave Rock: Just a big stone skate ramp, enough said. I guess the only reason I'd recommend a tourist to come out is if they wanna see a bit of the wheatbelt.

Pinnacles: They're a lot shorter than you think, but I guess they're pretty unique. I would say maybe slightly overrated, but I guess Perth lacks truly amazing sights we have to promote what we've got.

Dunsborough: Not sure much an attraction per se, but the town itself has become just a slice of suburbia in the Southwest. At least I can say the beaches surrounding are still great for surf and just having a swim.

Broome: Sad to say but I found the town a bit overrated. I like laid back, but Broome is a lot smaller than I thought. Most Perthites don't make the trip (I visited on a round Oz trip) because of distance/price. They'd rather visit Bali. Cable Beach is nice, and the Kimberley is the real outback but Broome itself is nothing special.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,149 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are some overrated travel sights/destinations in WA?

Different strokes for different folks. You clearly have no interest in geological formations - so dont waste your time driving out to them. For people who are fascinated by geology - they are extremely interesting.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are some overrated travel sights/destinations in WA?

Overrated? Under appreciative? Troll?

3. Re: What are some overrated travel sights/destinations in WA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, November 16, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,149 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are some overrated travel sights/destinations in WA?

Bored teen. Has dredged up a dozen old threads this evening and likes to exaggerate rather than give factual advice.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,491 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are some overrated travel sights/destinations in WA?

I think you're all being rather harsh. I don't agree with everything Trimac has said, but I do think Wave Rock is overrated, and unless you are really into geology you could spend your limited visiting time doing something better than driving all the way out to see the Rock.

Broome OTOH, has a subtlety that the young cannot appreciate IMO and is underrated. Pity it's so expensive getting there though.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are some overrated travel sights/destinations in WA?

The only place in WA we found overrated was Monkey Mia.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
548 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are some overrated travel sights/destinations in WA?

Oooh! I actually enjoyed seeing Wave Rock - I can't say I've ever seen anything even vaguely like it anywhere else. Admittedly, I did have the luxury of plenty of time to potter around the south-west corner of the state, but I found the rock fascinating, especially the bold streaks of colour - orange, gold, black, etc. running down its face. Yes, it's quite along way from anything else, but well worth the trip for me.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are some overrated travel sights/destinations in WA?

Well this Perthite has found her way to Broome and thought it unique and well worth a visit. The history of the town, the archaeology i.e. Dinosaur footprint; the fantastic beaches, the complete difference to anywhere else... It is not so much the Town as the area.

Same with Dunsborough. Or Margaret River. For any potential tourists reading this thread, a local using the term "Dunsborough" or "Margaret River" can actually mean "the whole of the south west corner of WA".

Wave Rock? Only if going that way. Pinnacles? The same and best viewed sunrise/sunset for great photos.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are some overrated travel sights/destinations in WA?

For me, Rotto is way overrated, but like all things, different strokes for different folks.

Loved the Pinnacles, I'd never seen anything like them.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are some overrated travel sights/destinations in WA?

Yeah that was what I said...most people don't really care much for the town itself, more the surroundings. The only really nice town in the SW is Bridgetown or Albany.