We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North of Perth for 2-3 weeks with family in January ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
217 reviews
Save Topic
North of Perth for 2-3 weeks with family in January ?

Hi all,

Looking for some initial guidance. We probably have about 16 days from mid January and thinking of heading to WA (from Melbourne) and then up North. Family consists of 12 year old daughter and 10 year old son, Mrs Haggis and I.

Options are to hire camper and drive on up as far as Exmouth, or hire a car and stop at hotels, or fly to Learmonth, hire car/camper and drive back to Perth.

Beaches, chilling out and the chance to see the reef appeal (we love Queensland and GBR).

Howeverm, will the weather be too hot at this time of year ? Is it worth waiting until later in the year when the whale sharks are in town (so to speak). Is there enough on the route to keep the kids interested ?

All comments, hints, tips etc will be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Col

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,178 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North of Perth for 2-3 weeks with family in January ?

Personally I would not head north in the middle of summer!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,162 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North of Perth for 2-3 weeks with family in January ?

Middle of cyclone season too.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North of Perth for 2-3 weeks with family in January ?

If you love the heat then go North. Personally I wouldn't go any further than Kalbarri (beautiful) or Monkey Mia in January.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North of Perth for 2-3 weeks with family in January ?

The NW is the last place I'd go in January. Too hot, cyclone season, and well, too hot.

The best season for the NW is April-June IMO - whale shark season and much cooler weather.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North of Perth for 2-3 weeks with family in January ?

Many thanks folks, as I suspected this Forum is a great source of knowledge and advice - very much appreciated.

We'll head off somewhere else in January and perhaps head to WA in April/May.

Cheers

Col

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,162 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North of Perth for 2-3 weeks with family in January ?

April/May is my second fave (after Sept in number 1 position) time of year in WA - for north or south. Much nicer than January!!

7. Re: North of Perth for 2-3 weeks with family in January ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 05, 2013