We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A beautiful day to be in WA

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Topic

Spring has definitely sprung.

Today we walked the 5.2 km, 2-3 grade Helena Pipehead trail in Beelu National Park, which begins where the bitumen ends on Helena Valley Road in the Perth Hills. The track is badly eroded and rather undulating. The loose rock made it a bit slow going, but it was pleasant enough. We saw an assortment of wildflowers, but they weren’t as impressive as those we saw last week hiking the Whistlepipe Gully Trail in nearby Mundy Regional Park.

After our hike we drove to Kalamunda to explore the Farmer’s Market, expecting a large crowd, but thankfully not finding one. The atmosphere was festive, with live music, good smelling food, and vendors selling produce, fresh flowers and bread.

We next sought out and walked the 2.4 km, grade 2, Hill Street walk, which is located in Kalamunda National Park at the eastern end of Hill Street in Gooseberry Hill. There were more wildflowers here and the walk was much easier.

We rounded out our day with a nice lunch at Fairbrossen Estate in Carmel. We both opted for the free range chicken breast filled with spinach, sundried tomato and brie, served atop a bed of creamy mash and steamed vegetables. The portions were generous and the food very good. The gorgeous ruby-red 2011 Rose wasn’t too shabby either.

Fresh air, exercise, wildflowers, good food and wine...what more could a person want?

Some photos here:

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-06a4-46b8-85d9

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,805 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A beautiful day to be in WA

Lovely day to be out and about. We ended up in the hills too. Had lunch at The Brook Garden Restaurant. We've been many times before but they now have a new chef and the reviews were good so we checked it out. Not one in our group of 5 was disappointed. The blue leschenaultia in the area is in full bloom too.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,005 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A beautiful day to be in WA

Was down there two weeks ago, and managed to get a nice gap between wintery weather (though a bit of winter, I would enjoy) and had a great afternoon with the 'grandies' at kings park and its great playground area.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,149 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A beautiful day to be in WA

It was wasn't it ! We were out with Mills Charters all morning surrounded by 40 humpback whales who were nuzzling the boat. Utterly awesome !!

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A beautiful day to be in WA

It all sounds wonderful, and I'm sure it is -- but aren't you guys in WA in need of a bit more rain? I see Perth's storages are at 32.7% (http://www.watercorporation.com.au/d/dams_storage.cfm which is the lowest they've been at this time of year for years.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A beautiful day to be in WA

Oooo...whales. Sounds fantastic. I've been meaning to look into a whale watching excursion.

I tend to get seasick, was the water rough?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A beautiful day to be in WA

We had quite a bit of rain last week Gat, but we always need more.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,149 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A beautiful day to be in WA

Yesterday Mel it was as flat as a mirror and clear down to 10 or 15 metres so we could see the whales even when they dove down. Anyone sea sick out on that was imagining it !

Mills operate out of Hillaries since 1986 and myself and the birthday lady have been with them annually since then.

They do a morning and afternoon cruise. The morning one usually gets more whales.

Pop a fernergan with breakfast and get on out there. It's absolutely teaming with humpbacks at the moment.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A beautiful day to be in WA

Thanks for that Perfectly, I'll look into it.

Never heard of fernergan, I'm guessing it's some sort of seasick prevention med?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,948 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A beautiful day to be in WA

Wonderful pics as usual Mel especially all the WA flowers... we were in Perth last week & the weather was pretty ordinary so I'm glad Spring has finally arrived !!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,149 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A beautiful day to be in WA

Fernergan / polaramine - any basic antihistamine - they all serve the same purpose and are the same ingredient that any doctor gives in injection form to someone suffering sea sickness or motion sickness.