We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - A winter welcome to Perth (Part 1)

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
135 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - A winter welcome to Perth (Part 1)

Part 1 (Kuala Lumpur-Perth-Bunbury)

1st July – Flight (Air Asia) departs at 12.05 am.

The journey was fine but the seats were awful. The reclining ability of the seats is a joke. It is basically non-existent. Well I guess you REALLY get what you pay for. There were still plenty of empty seats to go around but decided not to hog those seats. We ended up with back cramps and 5 hours of sleepless flight.

We reached Perth Airport around 5.30 am. Brrrrrr….first impression winter in Perth is really COLD!!! Luckily I had my warm jacket on. Wifey was already wrapped around with at least 3 layers of thick clothing.

A good friend picked me up from the airport and was able to save at least $35 for a cab ride to Rydges Perth (muahahahah!!). Great business class hotel and we actually decided to splurge a bit and booked the Executive King room. It was excellent with great breakfast and evening light meals & refreshments (the review will come soon…please check its page). As both of us were really tired decided to catch up our sleep…..ZZZzzzZZZZ

Woke up at about 10am & went for a walk around the city. Started off strolling along Kings Street with lots of branded outlets (LV, Tiffanny & Co., etc) occupying the shop along it. NICE but expensive, I still think it’s cheaper to shop in Hong Kong. Then, we went down to Barrack Jetty and visited the famous Swan Bell Tower. Really impressive as I didn’t knew it was actually a large musical instrument. Then we went round and round the city (actually we were a bit lost coz we had a lousy tour guide me!!). But Perth City by itself is impressive: beautiful gardens, buildings, churches, artistic monuments & etc. Wifey was busy snapping away on her little camera (finally she put it to good use!!). We just loved the small street way surrounding the city. You can always find a really interesting shop in almost any corner. There is a small shop called Bobby’s Football World near to Rydges. Soccer/football fans behold!! I picked up 2 authentic soccer jerseys (not those we find in Petaling Street in my country) for about $60 each. It was really cheap considering we need to pay about RM269 to RM299 (aprrox. AUD$95) each jersey of a well supported football club or country. Wanted to get wifey an Argentina jersey, but too bad…there weren’t any size suitable.

After a good lengthy walk, we spot an Optus dealer (corner shop on Murray Mall Street near the Perth Underground Train station I think). The lady there was really helpful and I ended up getting a $30 Optus Turbo Cap package. This was a good deal as the package comes with extra talk time credit, messaging credit up to $150 and many more.

As the weather was really beautiful, we decided to take the CAT bus to Kings Park. Can’t really remember which Cat we took but I remembered we stopped near a private hospital & walked up a really long flight of stairs to reach the park. My LORD!! That climb itself reminded how practically unfit I am!! Finally we reached the park at about 12.30pm. It’s really amazing to think about how the park is maintained. It was so green & clean. The scenery was picturesque. Every photo we snapped here is of postcard material. We saw lots of tourist around and met up with a few of them from Thailand & Spain. All of us ended up taking the same path further deeper into the park and eventually ended up taking photo of each other. My wife was quite occupied with all the memorial plates and it’s really wonderful to see how they are remembered for their contributions to Australia.

We left the park about 5.00 pm (we didn’t knew that it gets dark so early in winter!!) and took the same way we came up. As we slowly trot down the flight of stairs (they are really steep!!), we met a local elderly man climbing the stairs with a massive chain wrapped around his shoulders. That chain must at least been 10-15 kilos. MAN!! That’s really a good cardio & strength workout.

We took the same CAT bus back to Rydges and the retired to our rooms. Later that night, had an excellent seafood dinner in Northbridge area with a friend and his fiancée. We ended up having dessert in a Snowy Ice shop. I can’t remember the name but there were a huge stuffed penguin toy (was it blue in color??) and had the mango snowy. It was really good (even in that cold windy winter night). I think it was shaved ice but it was so smooth it tastes & feels like really soft ice cream.

-end…first night in wonderful Perth-

More reports to follow (this time I think it need to be shorter!! Didn’t realize I had so many things to say and this is only the first day!!)

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - A winter welcome to Perth (Part 1)

I enjoyed reading your first chapter. Yes, our winter mornings can get a tad brisk but beautiful sunny days often follow. Those steps you encountered are called Jacobs Ladder, a popular place for workout junkies.

Looking forward to chapter 2.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - A winter welcome to Perth (Part 1)

Thanks for the report serumz. Fancy being so courteous on the plane - I'd have been stretched out on those empty seats quick smart ☺ Yep - winter is cold in Perth - a real misnomer that we are warm all the time here! King Street is THE most expensivse street in Perth - I don't even like window shopping in case it melts the CC! And as for Jacobs Ladder - good on you! Twice eh? Oh and BTW, does your wife really like being called "wifey" ? I'd smack you...☺

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - A winter welcome to Perth (Part 1)

Excellent trip report and looking forward to reading Chapter 2 !

Thanks for sharing,

EM ☺

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,303 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - A winter welcome to Perth (Part 1)

Lovely day 1 report :) Yes you can now see why we Perthy Folk take so much pride in our Kings Park !!

5. Re: Trip Report - A winter welcome to Perth (Part 1)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 25, 2010