We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit Melbourne?????

NYC
11 posts
Save Topic
Best time to visit Melbourne?????

I lot beach type weather, I live in NYC and wondering when should I come down under.??????

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,589 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit Melbourne?????

If you love the beach then really the only time to come to Melbourne is from late December through to end of February when you can be fairly certain of getting ta least some warm weather. Weather in Melbourne is very changeable and even in summer it doesn't stay hot all the time. For example I was in melbourne on Monday and the temperature was 20degrees c or less for the whole day although in the few days before they had had temperatures in the high thirties.

However north of Brisbane the best time is between late March and September otherwise it gets too hot for most people.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit Melbourne?????

When you say you like beach type weather....what does that mean exactly? Do you want to swim, lie on the beach or just cruise around in nice warm conditions...?? One of the reasons I ask is because of the water temps here in Melbourne. It is much cooler than northern areas like Queensland and also a fair bit cooler than NSW waters. Without a wetsuit it is really only comfortable in the water during Jan, Feb and March. I was surfing last week at Phillip Island and the water was still quite cold, probably around 18C. If you just like lying on the beach, then Dec is fine. As Nozzie pointed out, it does vary a bit but most days are warm to hot and plenty of sunshine. Quick dips or paddling your feet in the ocean is all most would try out in December.

Up north the "beach season" is much longer and the water is swimmable most of the year. Is it down under you want to visit, or is it Melbourne in particular...??

Nozzie, you were in Melbourne again....?? You get over here quite often, is it all business activities...??

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Phillip Island
Phillip Island
Victoria, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,589 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit Melbourne?????

Hi Will - yes I am in Melbourne about two or three times a month on business but also sometimes for pleasure. Will be there again next week too.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit Melbourne?????

January through to Feb and early March are the hottest times.

Beginning of Autumn is lovely and picturesque as all the leaves change colour...I think that is around July.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,589 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit Melbourne?????

Ummmm autumn is actually end of April and May

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit Melbourne?????

My fav time of the year in Melbourne is Spring (Sept-Nov) as the weather is getting nice and the spring carnival (horse racing) is on which is a great event. Also last Sat in Sept is Aussie Rules Footy Final so from around this date to mid Nov the city is buzzing.

Also Jan-March for hot weather, Jan for the tennis, March for the Formula 1 and Moomba festival.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
7. Re: Best time to visit Melbourne?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 18, 2009