We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hot Air Ballooning

St. Augustine, FL
Level Contributor
49 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Hot Air Ballooning

My husband and I will be in Melbourne in Jan. '16 and want to experience a hot air balloon flight. Does anyone have a recommendation on best one in this area? We would prefer countryside to city views. What kind of options are available? Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
244 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hot Air Ballooning

Hi there is generally 2 places to do a hot air ballon either over Melbourne which is really nice great to soar over the big buildings or Yarra valley which is one of our wine regions about 50 minutes north of Melbourne which is the better bet if you want countryside. I have done both with http://www.globalballooning.com.au. If you got time I would stay a night or 2 in the Yarra valley it is very beautiful with heaps of wineries. Balgownie estate vineyard resort & spa is one of our favourites for food and accomodation, But you can do it in one day and global balloning does offer transfers from city just will be an early start.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
180 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hot Air Ballooning

An important tip for hot air ballooning :

Make sure you bring a scarf or some clothing to cover your neck and head. The heat from the flames is intense and will leave you feeling roasted if you are unprotected. It does take away from the fun of the flight.

That being said, hot air ballooning is something that must be tried at least once. enjoy!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hot Air Ballooning

We are also planning a stay in the Yarra Valley the end of December. The balloon flights are quite expensive and non-refundable. Do you think we could book last minute once we have a weather outlook? Or do we book far ahead and take our chances?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
244 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hot Air Ballooning

Flights generally book out in advance especially if you do it on a weekend. I would book in advance it should be fine with weather in late December. Double check with the company before you book we had our flight cancelled and had 12 months to reschedule which was fine as we live in Melbourne. Looking at global balloning terms and conditions if it doesn't go ahead you can be refunded with a $25 fee. globalballooning.com.au/terms-and-conditions

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hot Air Ballooning

A refund for a service that wasn't provided as contracted, only after payment of a fee? I wonder if any consumer affairs authorities would have anything to say about that...

Then again, if it forms part of the terms & conditions....

6. Re: Hot Air Ballooning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 20, 2016