We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather, hotels etc Melbourne and Sydney end of August

Freehold, NJ USA
Level Contributor
91 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Weather, hotels etc Melbourne and Sydney end of August

My family ( 2 adults, 21, 13 and 11 year old kids) are planning a trip to Melbourne and Sydney in Aug. to visit our son who will be studying at Univer. of Melbourne. We are staying 5 nights in each city. I'd love information on nice hotels that would accommodate 5 or 6, weather,family activities etc. I'm just beginning my research and would appreciate all suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Seattle
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Weather, hotels etc Melbourne and Sydney end of August

Hi there,

willnino mentioned the following in a recent post:

Aussie Rules tickets yet. When it gets closer to the time, we can give you some info on which games might be the best to see and how likely they are to be sold out

I'm going to be in Melbourne for the first time in 12 years in June. I'll be in town all day and the evenings of Weds the 27th and Thursday the 28th of June.

I would love to go to an Aussie Rules Footy game with my husband as I went to one when I was at the Uni of Melbourne and loved it...

But I'm not sure where to go or how to get tickets (or if there is even a game on those days??)

I also would love to have dinner on Lygon st. (an old haunt) and perhaps to the tramcar. I wanted to get a sense of game options and times so I could plan the rest or see if its possible.

any advice on where to find ticket options/game schedules?

Thanks!

CMD (from Seattle)

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Weather, hotels etc Melbourne and Sydney end of August

You are out of luck CMD, all games are on Friday night, Sat and Sunday days and Sat and Sunday nights. Wed and Thurs will miss out. Sorry, it is a pity you won't be able to get to a game. You can study dates at www.afl.com.au

As for Lygon St, it is as busy as it ever was. Always plenty to choose from.

Does it always rain in Seattle..?? We haven't seen decent rain in so long.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Weather, hotels etc Melbourne and Sydney end of August

Hi CMD

As Will has said there are no games on in Melbourne on the two days you are here. Closest is on Friday night (29 June) when coincedentally Will's team Essendon play my team Melbourne at Telstra Dome here in Melbourne. GO DEMONS!!!

Where are you before & after Melbourne? There are games on in Perth & Sydney on the previous Saturday & Sunday and on the following Saturday & Sunday there are games in Perth, Brisbane & Adelaide as well as Melbourne. The full fixture is at

afl.com.au/Season2007/…Default.aspx

and rounds 12 & 13 are the relevant ones. You could probably just turn up at any of the games except those in Perth & Adelaide when you would need to pre-book tickets as early as possible.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Adelaide
Adelaide
Greater Adelaide, Australia
14. Re: Weather, hotels etc Melbourne and Sydney end of August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 27, 2009