We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friendly pub to watch cricket

uk
Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Friendly pub to watch cricket

Does anyone know of a friendly pub in Melbourne, close to the Crown Complex where we could watch the cricket?

We weren't lucky enough to get tickets and have delayed our flight out of melbourne on Boxing day so that we could soak up the atmosphere and support our team!

We'd be happy to watch it in an English pub but would prefer an Oz one - although I'm not sure if it would be safe?

By the way, I'm with my 60 year old mother so she's looking for lively not rowdy!

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

EJH
Melbourne
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friendly pub to watch cricket

I think Federation Square will have the game on thier massive screen, this is not a pub but an outdoor area, it should for sure be lively. Many of the pubs i assume will be very rowdy!?? May not be suitable for an ederly woman...this is a mjor event so i hope that there will be lots of venues showing the game, mabye the bars/pubs in southbank along the boulevard would be suitable (a few minutes walk from crown) Crown also have a sports bar, i assume this will be jam packed on the day in question. Mabye ask crown if they ahve or can recomend anywhere suitable for you to watch it.

Sorry not being much help! hopefully some others who have more 'pub experience/knowledge' will come onboard and give you some good options...closer to the date, i would advise posting again as i am almost positive the City of melbourne will really make an event of this day and have lots of options for not only crazy cricket fans but families as well.

and Go Aussies! Go! :)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friendly pub to watch cricket

Blackwater

Every pub in town will be showing the cricket that day especially if the series is tight or ven better if we have thrashed you in the first two tests. ☺☺☺

I second EJH's suggestion, though, about Federation Square. It should be pumping on Boxing Day. They will have the big screen going and you can actually see the MCG from there just to add to the atmosphere. Around Fed Square the are numerous bars that I'm sure will also have the game showing live. And if you want to retire to a genuine Aussie pub Young & Jacksons (Y&J's to locals) is just across the road on the corner of Flinders & Collins. It is a great place to watch major sports although I'm guessing it will be crowded, but you will be perfectly safe wherever you choose. Violence and anger amongst sporting fans is very rare here, a bit of stirring and taking the p--s maybe but no more than that.

Cheers.

3. Re: Friendly pub to watch cricket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:25 am, August 27, 2009