We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you think the great ocean rd is over rated?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Do you think the great ocean rd is over rated?

Having owned a property in Lorne for over 20yrs and made the drive from Melb on a friday night a countless number of times,I feel compelled to ask if my fellow Aussies ,Do you truly believe this is one of the top drives in the world??..When I think of certain regions of france and the Amalfi coast of Italy or Switerland..To travel half way around the world to melbourne..Then take a 4hour bus trip to see what remains of the twelve Apostles I would be slightly dissapointed..This is not a jab at Australia but a serious question asked by loyal local..What do you think??

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Do you think the great ocean rd is over rated?

Just being silly..Time for me to leave..Woolamai and everybody else..thank you for your imput..Its been a pleasure..Goodnight..

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Do you think the great ocean rd is over rated?

Ok I'll add my two cents worth LE -good question BTW.

I have lived in Melbourne all my life ( Im old) and had never been to the GOR. I'd heard so much about it we decided to go camping to Wye River. We drove and stopped a few place along the way for coffee and gazing. I absolutely loved it and decided to take a friend from New York there when he came to visit. He was so impressed and being a keen photographer took heaps of photos to show back home. Since then he has bought several friends to the area and they all loved it! Just goes to show beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think it is the best in the world but is def a good drive if you are in Victoria.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Do you think the great ocean rd is over rated?

I agree nefetari..Maybe I take it for granted and I know I should not..I had the oppotunity of viewing some early photographs of Lorne and the Great Ocean Rd which were from about 1900 -1910..These were handing on the walls of the Erskine House before they tore it down..The road was actually made by blasting away at the side of the mountain with dynamite..They were tough days..Thanks for your input..

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Do you think the great ocean rd is over rated?

LE you are welcome. Believe it or not my hubby has never been to GOR either so thanks to this post, we have put GOR on our "to do list" I'll let you know his thoughts.

Nefertari

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Do you think the great ocean rd is over rated?

Very interesting post LE. Living in Scotland we rightly think that we have some of the finest loch/mountain combinations and you're sure to see them on a shortbread tin if you've got any Scottish relatives. However, I do think that a certain over-familiarity creeps in after a while. I live in Glasgow and am no more that a 30 minute drive to the "bonnie banks" of Loch Lomond and honestly, you couldn't ask for anything more spectacular when the sun comes out. But, ask me how often I drive up there to see the scenery......virtually never unless I'm on my way to somewhere beyond. But, if I had someone over from Oz it would be a "must do". Interestingly, the Scottish Open Golf beams from there every July courtesy of BBC around the globe and the commentators are always reading emails from impressed viewers.

Now, as my daughter is working in your lovely Melbourne, we had a 2 day drive down GOR staying at Lorne overnight....What did we think....amazing. To see the Apostles "in the flesh" so to speak and to visit Loch Ard gorge and hear the story made the hairs on my neck stand up. Sure, there are some slightly dull stretches but that just makes you look forward to the next sight...

By coincidence I was down in Sorrento (Italy) a few weeks ago and the drive down the Amalfi coast was great too. Similarly I've done the trip down the "big Sur" in California (suprisingly like some parts of the west coast of Scotland..only 20 degrees warmer) and my wife comes from Belfast so we've driven the lovely Antrim coast many times...Giants Causeway et al...they're all different but all memorable....Enjoy what you've got....visitors certainly do.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Do you think the great ocean rd is over rated?

Thankyou Bearsdenbrian for your reply..If I had the chance I would have re phrased my question..I was interested in knowing how tourists and locals felt about The Great Ocean Rd..I love it..But I do feel we Aussies "Sulsa" things up a bit..We have the best this and the biggest that and not to mention the fastest atheletes..My favorite Aussie saying is "If you cant dazzle this with brilliance ,baffle them with Bullshit"..Excuse my language..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Do you think the great ocean rd is over rated?

Sorry it should read"..If you cant dazzle them with Brilliance..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Do you think the great ocean rd is over rated?

Definitley NOT over-rated - is just so beautiful.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Do you think the great ocean rd is over rated?

Definitley NOT over-rated - is just so beautiful.

30. Re: Do you think the great ocean rd is over rated?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, August 26, 2009