We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Ocean Road

UK
2 posts
Save Topic
Great Ocean Road

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I am coming over to Australia in a couple of weeks and part of my trip will be flying to Melbourne, picking up a car from the Airport and then doing the Great Ocean Road for that day and night, and then the following day before returning to melbourne.

The plan was to drive to the Port Campbell, and the 12 Apostles, which is far as we are planning to go (we feel it's best to do a bit of it properly than all of it rushed), and then the next day have a leisurely travel back to melbourne.

My question really is this: I get the impression that Port Campbell is much quieter that I first though. Would I be better staying in Apollo Bay and doing the Apostles either before or after??

Many thanks in advance.

Nicola

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Ocean Road

I would personally choose Warnambool before either Port Campbell or Apollo Bay but much depends on what you want to do with the overnight stay. Apollo Bay isn't much busier than P.C, they are both small towns, although AB has a few more options than Port C. Warnambool is much bigger than both and has a good range of eating options, plus the Flagstaff Hill night laser show. If you don't mind a quiet night, you could stay at Port C and visit the Glow worms or go and see the penguins come in at London Bridge.

With regards to the drive, it depends on what time you are picking the car up. If it is after lunchtime, I would just drive to Geelong and straight inland, through Colac to Warnambool or Port Campbell. From either of these you can start bright and early, head to the 12 Apostles and take your time there before the masses arrive from Melbourne. You can then go home through Lavers Hill, to the Great Ocean Road at Apollo Bay, lunch or afternoon tea at Lorne and then check out Torquay, Bells Beach, Anglesea, etc on your way home. There are lots of questions on the GOR and you can research it really well by using the search option and going back over other queries.

If you get in to Melb early, then you can do the opposite of above and do the coast all day before landing in P.C or Warnambool. The 12 Apostles are after Apollo Bay, so this would make it a bit harder logistically. All 3 towns are nice though, don't think you will be disappointed in any of them. Will

UK
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Ocean Road

Thank you Will. That's really useful. We actually land in Melbourne just before mid-day, so i suppose it's going to be about 1pm before we actaully get out of the Airport.

I will check out the places you have mentioned.

Thanks again.

Nicola

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Ocean Road

Nicola, in that case I would definitely head straight down to Geelong and inland through Colac to the overnight destination of your choice. Warnambool and Port Campbell would be my two choices but you could go to Apollo Bay or Lorne as well. Driving directly down to either of these places would get you there around 4 in the afternoon and it gets dark around 6.30pm.

Not sure if you are coming all the way from the U.K in one go....if you are, you may struggle to stay awake for too long, it could well be an early night. If you are struggling with the time zones, the good thing is you will pop awake at some very early hour and you can head down to the 12 Apostles and beat the crowds...:-))

4. Re: Great Ocean Road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, August 24, 2009