We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camparison of Utility Service Vendors

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Camparison of Utility Service Vendors

Hi,

I found a lot of utility service vendor links for each service like electricity/ telephone/ cable/ Gas/ Internet etc. and totally confused where from to start with. Can anyone please provide information/ link for comparison of these vendors for each services (electricity, Gas, Cable, Mobile) and if possible your preference (with reason) with your rates that you pay in average per month ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,

Abhijit

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camparison of Utility Service Vendors

The bottom line is for a general consumer there is very little competition full stop. One may offer a discount here but another will offer it there (I am talking here about gas and electricity) so it evens out. UNless your a big business with a huge requirement your lucky to have a discount that works out at a few dollars.

Now mobiles are different - we have several main providers (and several retailers). The main being Telstra (the largest and widest coverage), Optus, Vodafone, and "3". Personally I would stick with one of the first three not only because of backup but coverage (although Vodafones is patchy in the countryside outside main routes). Prices -how long is a piece of string. I can guarantee everyone that will answer in here will be on a different pricing plan. What plan suits you will depend on how much you will use it, whether its calls or text messages , how long you use it for each call etc etc.

Cable/Internet is the same thing- you have a copy of large companies (Telstra Bigpond & Optus) and a range of resalers/isp's that really are only reselling connections on the two big networks. Telstra which i use is usually a bit more money but in the years I have used it never had a problem nor an issue with their backup. A good site for internet comparison is;

bc.whirlpool.net.au

Sydney (formerly...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camparison of Utility Service Vendors

I think all suppliers are very similar, so I don't think you could really go wrong, but I've had difficulties with Energy Australia (gas/electricity) while finding TRU (gas/electricity) very good. This is only based on my recent experience with them though - I used Energy Australia in Sydney and had no problems at all. I think I pay around $160 every 2 months for electricity and around $200 every 2 months for gas - but this is for a 3 bedroom house so it will obviously be a lot different for a smaller place.

I use Telstra for home phone, mobile and broadband internet, because you get a discount for having everything with them. I think their prices are very competitive. Their customer service isn't always great, but friends have similar complaints with other providers like Optus and AAPT. I think I pay about $45 a month for home phone (no overseas calls), $30 a month for mobile (minimal usage) and $30 a month for broadband internet (they had a half price deal when I joined up).

For cable tv go direct to Foxtel.

3. Re: Camparison of Utility Service Vendors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 21, 2009