We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll Roads in Melbourne

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Toll Roads in Melbourne

Hi! I'm planning a self drive tour of Melbourne but we won't be driving in the city area very much so i'm wondering whether i should rent a Toll Road Pass along with the car?

Is toll roads very common in the outlaying areas of GOR, Phillip Island etc?

Thanks!

P.S: Red Spot or Hertz?

King Island...
Level Contributor
353 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toll Roads in Melbourne

hi yunlic,the monash freeway is a toll road from Melbourne to burke road then becomes a free road all the way to phillip island ,and toll road inner city area as far as the west gate bridge for your trip to the great ocean road .you can register your car and prepay or some hire car companys will bill you for the toll .I have never used red spot or hertz so cant help you which would be the better hire company , both are well known large companys . the toll road web site is [www.citylink.com.au ]enjoy your trip both destinations are great places to visit

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toll Roads in Melbourne

If you're hiring a car at the airport and heading to the cbd or Phillip Island, or if you're driving from the cbd area to Phillip Island, you would find it convenient to use the CityLink toll road. Here's a map:

http://www.citylink.com.au/Maps.asp

The other toll road in Melbourne is EastLink (http://www.eastlink.com.au/default.aspx) although you won't need to travel on this if you're only going to Phillip Island.

If you head for the GOR from the cbd (or vice versa) or from the airport via the western ring road, there are no tolls.

A toll tag covers both systems, although there are also various passes that you can obtain, and you'd need to check the details as to what they cover.

Even if you don't have a tag or pass, you can pay over the phone after you travel (the number to ring is posted on signs alongside the road)

Edited: 3:29 am, July 07, 2014
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Toll Roads in Melbourne

I'm planning on hiring the car from CBD area...

First part will be down the Coastline to GOR with the 2nd day spent on the GOR before turning back inland to Torquay.

3rd day will be driving to Phillip Island but i intend to take the Queenscliff-Sorrento Car Ferry which means i'll bypass Melbourn CBD area.

4th day will be driving from Phillip Island to Werribee before heading for the airport.

Those routes doesn't seem to be Toll roads so i should be fine without renting a Toll Pass right?

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toll Roads in Melbourne

Two issues:

1. Some of the hire car companies have conditions about taking their cars on the ferry. In fact, the chance of any damage is remote, but you probably should check so that you're aware of the issue. See tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255100-i278-k6…

2. On the route that you describe, a section of the Phillip Island to Werribee travel would usually be via the CityLink (but none of the rest). It's certainly the easiest and most straight-forward route, although the toll can be avoided by exiting at Warrigal Rd, then travelling via Dandenong Rd, Queens Rd and Kingsway before rejoining the Westgate Freeway from Kingsway. But I'd pay the toll!

Edited: 3:49 am, July 07, 2014
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Toll Roads in Melbourne

The problem with renting the Toll Pass for Red Spot & Hertz is that i have to pay for everyday the car is rented.

So won't it be wasteful to get the Toll Pass for all 4 days when i only need it for a short part on the last day...?

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toll Roads in Melbourne

Have a look at the CityLink site, and check out the option of paying for a 24 hour pass over the phone (or on the internet) after you've travelled. See http://www.citylink.com.au/1798.asp

Edited: 3:57 am, July 07, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Toll Roads in Melbourne

It's easy to avoid toll roads and won't take much longer. Use a GPS and you will be asked whether or not you want to use toll roads - say no - and follow...

8. Re: Toll Roads in Melbourne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 09, 2015