We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 star special occasion hotel?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
5 star special occasion hotel?

Hi All,

I was wondering if I can get some opinions on a hotel for a special occasion, 2 nights in August.

We are looking for a luxury hotel with great service and facilities. We prefer a modern hotel but we are open to suggestions. Like everyone we want to feel pampered and special I guess. Would love a hotel with a warm Jacuzzi in the pool area too if possible.

Budget isn't really an issue, but we are trying to keep it to $1000-1200 for the two nights (Friday and Saturday).

We have a flexible booking at Crown for the Premier Room (same as entry level room but on a higher floor) but it's come in at $1350 for our dates. We love Crown but feel it's a bit pricey for a room only rate (no club access or breaky).

I am now leaning towards the Intercontinental. We can get a King Club Junior Suite, with club access, breaky, afternoon tea etc for approx. $1000 for the two nights. It looks great, but I am wondering if I am missing something? The rate seems very good?

Other options are the Langham (which is probably amazing but looking a bit dated) or the Sofitel.

Any opinions? Is there somewhere else we can consider?

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: 5 star special occasion hotel?

i get's your free suggestions for a occasion of five star hotel party what i wear on party time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,142 posts
1,407 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 5 star special occasion hotel?

Hi,

I've stayed at numerous 5* star hotels in Melbourne - my list below my reviews below may assist you. - re rooms etc.

I like the Crown / Langham & the Hilton South Wharf the best

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i27340-Trip_Rep…

Sydney
Level Contributor
234 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 5 star special occasion hotel?

My most favourite hotel in Melbourne is the Sofitel. Even in the standard rooms asking for a corner you get the most amazing views over Melbourne as the hotel doesn't even start until the 34 th floor. Have stayed in a suite and they are amazing. Not sure of the jacuzzi etc but it doesn't mean they don't have them or access to but we have happy hour in front of the floor length windows with the drop dead views over Melbourne and nothing beats it

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 5 star special occasion hotel?

Thanks Ellemay for a very comprehensive link! I really appreciate the great read, and have some great tips now.

parko Sydney, good point about the views from the Sofitel due to it's height. Views are not a huge priority this trip but I will check it out again.

Thanks all!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 5 star special occasion hotel?

Sorry torresjewel, but I'm not sure whether you are asking me a question or not? What info are you after?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 5 star special occasion hotel?

I love both Crown Towers and The Langham when booking decadent hotels. I would definitely suggest checking out the rates on Wotif aswell as I never booked through either of these hotels as I can usually find a cheaper rate on another site. Just a suggestion :)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 5 star special occasion hotel?

I just had a look and The Langham is currently much cheaper on Wotif.com during August.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 5 star special occasion hotel?

thepinkshoe, thanks for that. I usually book with Wotif, but I always use the search function on TA to check multiple prices on different sites, I am a stickler for saving money when I can.

We have decided on the Intercontinental for our August getaway, but we are staying at the Sofitel this Friday for a dinner in the city with family. Scored a mystery deal for $240 so pretty happy with that!

19. Re: 5 star special occasion hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 17, 2015