We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping on Groupon purchases??

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
360 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping on Groupon purchases??

So, I understand from other threads that tipping is not the norm in Australia, so I think the answer to this will be no as well, especially since groupon doesn't address it (On Groupon deals in the US at the bottom it always reminds you to tip generously since you got a discount)... But if I purchase and eat at a restaurant with a groupon deal that covers the entire bill, would a tip be expected or would the bill just be covered?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tipping on Groupon purchases??

Ok ok ok, I'll play, in jest... You ready?

>>>we do tip in Melbourne when we get good service<<<

*When* you get good service? So should we tip all the time in Sydney? Because good service is just the norm here.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
360 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tipping on Groupon purchases??

Like I said, I didn't really intend to start a "tipping debate"... I'll be honest, servers in the US make $2 an hour, so I have no problem tipping them cause you are essentially paying their salary. But other than possibly leaving the change, I have a problem tipping someone that makes more than double our minimum wage...

Thank you TrikeMan for your tip about order something else to even out the discount a bit, I will keep that in mind.

Docklands Melbourne
Level Contributor
144 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tipping on Groupon purchases??

My pleasure sanger727..... It's not really about a debate.........Melbourne is such a terrific place to visit....it sometimes pushes the button on some of our interstate travel experts.........I do hope you have enjoyed your visit to OZ.....

14. Re: Tipping on Groupon purchases??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 29, 2015