We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very early morning flight out of transfer

Miami
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Topic
Very early morning flight out of transfer

Hello-

We will be spending a few days in Melbourne, Australia. The problem is our flight leaves for the US @ 6:00 a.m, so we need to be at the airport no later than 3:30am for an international flight.

Don't know if there are available taxis or companies that transfer us so early in the morning.

Would appreciate any information you can provide us, as time is running out and I did not

realize just how early that flight leaves. Need to know if I can pre-book a taxi at that time or what other option might be available. One company I contacted about transferring starts working at 4:00a.I If anyone can provide me names of companies or individuals that are reliable in providing this service, I would be most appreciative. Also, if you can tell me more or less what

this service might cost. There will be 2 of us traveling.. We will be staying at a hotel in the CBD.

Would appreciate getting this information ASAP.

Many, many thanks,

Suzettemiami

Great Ocean Road Small-Group Eco-Tour...
1,259 reviews
from $105.22*
Special Offer
Phillip Island Tour from Melbourne
559 reviews
from $66.77*
$133.54
Special Offer
Yarra Valley, Puffing Billy Steam...
270 reviews
from $68.39*
$136.78
Melbourne Super Saver: Great Ocean...
117 reviews
from $217.72*
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very early morning flight out of transfer

Get the hotel to book a cab the night before. The fare will be roughly $60 -$70 depending on where in the city you are located. There's a 20% surcharge between midnight and 5 am. + the booking fee. Cabs operate 24/7. The ride to the airport at stupid o'clock should be no more than 15-20 minutes.

If your hotel is located near Southern Cross Station then taking the Skybus might be an option, but if you would need to get a cab to get to the Station it's not worth the effort to save very few $$s.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very early morning flight out of transfer

Here is the link to Skybus. I agree with emel. My first choice would be taxi, but if you are staying near Southern Cross station, you may want to look at Skybus.

http://www.skybus.com.au/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very early morning flight out of transfer

If it were possible, i'd recommend you change your booking for the last night of your stay in Melbourne - there's a number of hotels at the airport or very close to, that would be much more convenient for you.

The Hilton is the closest, it's actually above the carpark, only a 30 second walk from the International Lounge.

Good luck!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,403 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very early morning flight out of transfer

Agree with Eva and Navy.

Organise a taxi the night before with the hotel. I wouldn't waste a night at the airport.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very early morning flight out of transfer

There is nothing exciting to see near the airport so I'd wouldn't recommend it either.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very early morning flight out of transfer

why not try and cancel he last night at your hotel and book Holiday Inn at centre Road at the airport. tel 1800 669 562. if you don't ask you wont find out. Ask you hotel if you can do that.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very early morning flight out of transfer

Why would you bother going to the trouble of packing, checking out of one hotel, checking into another hotel then unpacking and re packing the next morning and checking out again, just to take a 20 minute cab ride the night before before rather than the morning of departure? Pointless exercise really. And, as Peter quite rightly points out, there's nothing to do and nowhere except MacDonalds to go at the airport. Even all the shops in the terminal close quite early.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very early morning flight out of transfer

Pete and Emel...........agree.

Miami
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Very early morning flight out of transfer

Thank you all very very much for taking the time and for your input. I was just concerned that securing a taxi

at around 3 a.m. might be difficult even if pre-arranged. Unfortunately have had this experience before, and

this is my returning flight to LAX. I will spend the day in Melbourne and take a taxi in the evening to a hotel

near the airport that has a shuttle and can transfer us to airport in the early am.

Thanks everyone for your interest and advice.

SuzetteMiami

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Very early morning flight out of transfer

So you asked a question, got about seven responses telling you a taxi from the CBD hotel is fine, and now have decided all of the locals must be wrong and you're going to go to great inconvenience to change hotels? I mean, we can't tell you what to do but it's a very strange conclusion.

Are you absolutely certain your hotel's shuttle runs 24/7? That seems like a slightly riskier prospect than a taxi from the CBD, and it will take longer to get a cab at the airport hotel at night should the shuttle not be available. But either way I think you'll get there. Enjoy the trip.