We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Light breakfast near the Langham?

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,924 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Light breakfast near the Langham?

I just booked two nights at the Langham for our visit to Melbourne during next year's Australian Open. (The room is only $6 more than one at the Travelodge, so why not?). I booked "room only" as the hotel breakfast is quite expensive and we are light eaters at breakfast. Just coffee or tea and a croissant or granola/ yogurt is fine. Are there small local cafés in the area where we could find that? Not a chain---we don't set foot in Starbucks even at home in Seattle, and would never visit one abroad either.

I have read that Melbourne is very proud of its coffee. My husband is looking forward to trying some. Thanks for your help.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,032 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Light breakfast near the Langham?

Hi,

Personally, I'd make a B-line straight to Degraves St, or if you want to hit and run, I don't mind Pellegrini's (not close to Southbank). if you go to the latter, don't be expecting warm fuzzy service, it's no nonsense coffee and grub.

Edited: 2:33 pm, February 06, 2014
Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,924 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Light breakfast near the Langham?

Thanks. Is that a pedestrian bridge across the river I see on Google satellite view, crossing the river right near The Langham? Looks like we would then have to work our way through Flinders St. Station but there are lots of cafés on the other side, along Delgraves and other streets. That should do nicely, especially if there are Italian espresso bars.

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,924 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Light breakfast near the Langham?

OK, I had another look Degraves Espresso Bar looks just right. And Ponyfish Island under the bridge is intriguing; maybe we'll,try that one on the second morning.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Light breakfast near the Langham?

There are several cafes along South bank and one could have breakfast and sit close to the river.

The princes bridge crosses the river very close to your hotel

In Federation Square there is also a couple of restaurants

Melbourne has some excellent coffee houses and a wide range of international flavours.

Wander down the lanes and alleys and you will find them.

Flinders lane,

Little Collins street

The Blockade

Enjoy

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Light breakfast near the Langham?

Yes there is a footbridge across the Yarra river to Flinders Street, which is where Degraves St starts. It is less than a 10 minute walk from your hotel. The Langham is well located and is surrounded by many cafes, restaurants and take away food shops. You will be spoil for choice.

http://www.degravesstreetonline.com/

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=degraves+street&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=dQD0UsbcDsaKlAXHpYGYDA&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=567

http://www.ponyfish.com.au/

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Light breakfast near the Langham?

I have stayed at the Langham a few times. The Southgate complex is next door. There is a food court and plenty of cafes and restaurants that offer breakfast / all day dining.

http://www.celebratesouthgate.com.au/dining/

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Light breakfast near the Langham?

We Melburnians take our coffee very seriously - which is probably why your very own Starbucks failed miserably in this city.

KVEs suggestion of heading to Degraves St is excellent. The coffee at Degraves Espresso is pretty good and the whole street is quintessentially 'Melbourne'.

Around the corner in Flinders Lane The Journal Cafe makes fab coffee in a great environment.

Pellegrini's, as mentioned, is a Melbourne institution, but it's a long walk from The Langham. If you find yourself at the top end of the city, near Parliament House, it's worth a stop.

Brother Baba Budan in Little Bourke St is another long time favorite with us 'coffee geeks'. You can't miss it - look for a shop with chairs hanging from the ceiling!

A hidden treasure is Cup of Truth in the subway off Degraves St (it can be tricky to find so just ask someone). Their coffee is spectacular.

For the traditional Melbourne coffee experience, no one should miss at least one visit to Brunettis in Carlton. I personally don't think they make the best coffee in Melbourne (but it's pretty good, nonetheless) but their cakes........!!!!!!

If you want to join Melbourne's trendy lycra set, head out to St Ali North in Fitzroy. St Ali in South Melbourne is still up there as a great spot as well, but it has become a victim of it's own success and the queues on the weekends make it impossible.

8. Re: Light breakfast near the Langham?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, February 08, 2015