We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hopeless Romantic

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Hopeless Romantic

Hello fellow Melbournians...I would like to do some serious impressing of a lady friend who will be flying from paris next week..I only have 4days to convince her that i am the man of her dreams and to relocate to OZ....Can you please sugest some romantic hotels and restaurants..medium to high price range..

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hopeless Romantic

Park Hyatt is by all repute a very nice high end hotel with a swanky resturant.

A suite at the Sofitel 40+ floors above the city looking towards the MCG would also be magic at night.

A room in the Crystal Club floors (I think thats what it is called) of the Crown Towers hotel (which is like there executive club with access to the club lounge).

Unfort I am not a frequent habitue of high end restaurants so cannot recommend them - but what about one of those nice hotels and having a full meal served in your room course by course. Specially if the room is high up with a view.

EJH
Melbourne
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hopeless Romantic

Hello limited edition! arent you a sweet guy! I think the above mentioned hotels were good Sofitel and Langham are my favourites, also there is a luxury propety in south yarra that always gets good reviews and thats a great area to take her shopping! I also am not into fancy restaurants so cant help you there - if you search in the forum for restaurants you will get some very good recomendations, However, i must say, most girls are a sucker for men who have made an effort - this does not entail a expensive restaurant!!!!!! Mabye cook her a meal at home with candles burning and soft music playing in background! make simple food if you are not a good cook..i swear she will luuurrrvvveee this! Also if weather permits having a picnic somewhere - very romantic! if she is french, make sure you pack fresh bread, cheeses, wine etc! Im assuming she is french, do you speak french?? if not then try and put together a romantic sentence! she will luuuurve that too! Sorry for all the etxra advice when all you wanted was hotels and restaurants!!!! good luck!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hopeless Romantic

Hello 6andy6 and EJH and thank you for your prompt and thorough replies..The Sofitel 40+ sounds like a good idea asMelbourne does has a good skyline..And EJH the suggestion of cooking her dinner is great..Weather permitting i will put together a picnic basket from David Jones and head up to the Dandenongs as a day trip..Unfortunetly i dont speak French EJH..Her English is ok..Long distance calls from Paris are a laugh as we spend most of the time repeating what each other has just said...Time to start making some bookings..Thanks again..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hopeless Romantic

PS...Thanks for the extra advice EJH..I will start looking for candles and French phrase books today..Maybe a small something from Tiffanys??.There goes the Budget..

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
503 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hopeless Romantic

LimitedEdition - I noticed that you mentioned taking a picnic to the Dandenongs. Have you considered spending one night up there? They have some gorgeous B&Bs and hotels up there that are very romantic (think big open fire, great food, wine....). I'm a sucker for that sort of thing (must mention it to my hubby ;-) )

I agree with the recommendation for the Sofitel (beautiful views), there's also The Windsor (very old and romantic) and another favourite of mine The Lindrum.

I'm not really sure about romantic restaurants but one great (high end) restaurant that springs to mind would be Jacques Reymond. I also love upstairs at the Stokehouse and Langton's (but I believe it is closing this week?).

Hope this helps.

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
503 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hopeless Romantic

Oh just thought of another great spot. The Mansion at Werribee Park. You could stay overnight and they have a nice restaurant too. You also have the Rose Garden and zoo to wander through during the day.

EJH
Melbourne
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hopeless Romantic

Limited Editiion! you simply must tell us how this turns out! :)

Sofitel is real nice - the buffet breakfast in the morning is wonderful, eggs made to order, pancakes, everything you can think of, its a really top quality breakfast!

And Tiffany's!!! not fair! every woman on earth wants a gift from Tiffany's!

good luck

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hopeless Romantic

Hi Woolamai..thanks for your reply..I have heard great things about Jacque Raymond but never dined their so this will be a definite and the idea of staying in the Dandenongs is great also..I remember staying in some nice cottages in the Olinda area which were amazing..Thanks EJH as your advice has been very helpful..So if you had the choice which would it be..The Sofitel or the Lindrum??..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hopeless Romantic

PS..I will definetly tell you how i made out..Its great to get a female perspective..

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
503 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hopeless Romantic

This is fun Limited Edition! ;-)

You really do have to let us know how you go!!

As for the two hotels. Would your friend be impressed by fantastic views of the Melbourne skyline? If so, go the Sofitel. It really is a beautiful hotel (I worked in the ANZ Tower next door to it for 8 years (we just moved office buildings)).

If your friend likes smaller "boutique" hotels then I'd go for the Lindrum. It has more of an intimate feeling. I like that. The lobby has a dining room, bar (with open fire and lounge chairs) and a fabulous (huge) Pool table. It's just got a nice cosy vibe to it. But the rooms really don't have a great view at all.

I'd probably lean towards the Sofitel - but it's a hard one.