We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Check

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
382 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Check

Currently planning itinerary for me and my husband for a week in Melbourne in last week of April/beginning of May. We enjoy good food and wine, like scenic areas, some history and culture but not interested in animals, etc. We have already done the Great Ocean Road, loved it but don't need to re-do that. We won't be hiring a car so trips outside of city will need to be a booked tour. We will be combining self-catering with restaurant meals.

This is what I have planned but nothing booked yet except for flights and accommodation.

Saturday – fly into Melbourne, book into apartment, do free tram circuit

Sunday – Queen Victoria Markets in morning; Art Centre Markets in afternoon and National Gallery of Victoria International and/or Australian Centre for Contemporary Art

Monday – free walking tour, Birrarung Marr, Australian Centre for the Moving Image and/or National Gallery of Victoria (Australia)

Tuesday – day tour to Yarra Valley vineyards

Wednesday – Bourke Street Mall/Royal Arcade during day then Lygon Street in late afternoon/evening

Thursday – day tour to Mornington Peninsula

Friday – morning unsure; afternoon at St Kilda

Saturday – walk from Docklands Park across Webb Dock Bridge and along Yarra River at Sounkbank, fly home

This is our first holiday to Melbourne. only passed through in the past. Is this do-able, have I missed anything (currently Friday morning is free), any suggestions welcome.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Check

Itinerary looks great but Sunday might be a bit rushed unless you start at the Vic Market early, e.g. 8-9am as you want to leave lots of time for the galleries. Have you considered venturing out the suburbs for Hiede, Museum of Modern Art? They have the sculpture garden too and John & Sunday Reed's house is next door. It is a beautiful museum but quite small. Famous chef, Shannon Bennet also has one of his Cafe Vue eateries on site too.

I think the only thing I could suggest for your spare day is a day trip to the Daylesford region for some fine food, local art galleries and SPA country. It's a beautiful country region not too far from Melb , see: visitvictoria.com/Regions/Daylesford-and-the… Not sure of the name of any day tours but one of the TA experts might be able to assist if you're interested.

Have a great trip!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
181 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Check

You might have to buy Myki cards for trains trams and buses if your going to catch any besides the free city circle tram.You seem to like a lot of walking.That's a good time of the year to come to Melb.may be a bit cool for you coming from Brisbane.In my opinion the best walks are near the Shrine of Rememberance and The Botanical Gardens.Check out Market Lane since you are going up that way.If its raining or if you have the time go to the Block Arcade in Collins st.and the Royal Arcade ,Bourke st mall.Melbourne Central shopping complex and QV or Queen Victoria Village cnr Swanston and Lonsdale st.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,512 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Check

This was a great trip report from someone who explored Melbourne rather than just visiting the tourist sites. They had a car which gave them a bit more flexibility, but there might be some idea's there you like too.

tripadvisor.com.au/…53520872

4. Re: Itinerary Check

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, February 11, 2015