We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money do I need to spend a month in Melbourne?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lisbon, Portugal
1 post
Save Topic
How much money do I need to spend a month in Melbourne?

Hello guys,

I'd like to know how much money do I need to spend one month in Melbourne limiting my budget to the lowest possible. This implies:

- Using public transportation

- Staying in a reasonable hotel

- Buying economical meals

Perhaps one month is too much (expensive)... but we'll see.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,390 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much money do I need to spend a month in Melbourne?

Hi,

We need more specific details. To give you an idea why;

Transportation - from where to where, and how frequently?

Accommodation - to me $300/night is 'reasonable'. What is your reasonable?

Food - they sell $2 hotdogs at 7Eleven and 90 cents Cup Noodles at supermarkets, do you mean that sort of economical?

So perhaps more detail, and then try calculating a 'per day' cost, rather than a month.

Id say if you're prepared to share a dorm in the cheapest hostel, buy all your food from the supermarket and cook yourself, no alcohol no cigarettes and no paid attractions, you may get away with $50-60 a day (give it take a few dollars)

Edited: 2:56 pm, December 27, 2013
Perth
Level Contributor
458 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much money do I need to spend a month in Melbourne?

You will also need to avoid months with special events eg afl grand final, Melbourne cup or Australan open. Sign up to hotel chain emails. I booked my husband and son into the Hilton on South Wharf for $150 a night. I have a room in January for $135 a night including kitchenette at Ibis on Thierry. To go cheaper, try the Tune hotel or Budget Ibis.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,085 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much money do I need to spend a month in Melbourne?

You can get very cheap accommodation through https://www.airbnb.com.au/s/Melbourne ... especially if you stay in someones spare room and eat cup-a-noodles as said before. It's possible to eat cheaply in Melbourne fairly well, as long as you don't buy coffee. The absolute cheapest way to get around is with the cycle hire system... http://www.melbournebikeshare.com.au/

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much money do I need to spend a month in Melbourne?

Can I ask what is the main purpose of your stay?

For cheap accommodation try hostels, short-terms stays in a room (you can check out gumtree) or a bed. There's couchsurfing but there's always risk there. There are quite a few in places like St. Kilda and Carlton that can work out as cheap as $15 a week. All are convenient as far as public transport.

I find public transport is a bit expensive, get a myki and top it up. Expect to spend a good $3 a day at least.

What's 'economical' for you? If you stay at backpackers/a home you can save money by cooking a lot of your meals, but please try Melbourne's great cuisine. Great Italian, Chinese and contemporary Australian, as well as the others. Expect to pay at least $10 a meal usually.

Luzon, Philippines
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: How much money do I need to spend a month in Melbourne?

would 1000K AUD be enough to comfortably leave in Melbourne,Victoria Australia ?

Thanks for the reply i am planning to migrate at Australia.

Edited: 3:43 am, January 06, 2014
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,425 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much money do I need to spend a month in Melbourne?

$1000 would not even pay your rent for a month ...

if you are a serious holiday maker we are happy to answer sensible questions, if you are anything else please go away

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,788 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much money do I need to spend a month in Melbourne?

Do you really mean a million dollars?

Do you mean 'is that enough to come to Australia and live off for the rest of my life?'

Well, that depends on:

Where you want to live (a million will buy you a house, but not the best house in a good suburb)

How old are you - if you're 90 it may last, if you're 20 it probably wont.

Are you eligible for a migration visa? Only the Department of Immigration can answer that question

Are you taking the p***s? I think possibly ;-)) Would anyone with a million dollars lying around be asking that sort of question on this sort of forum I think not.

But a nice one!

Edited: 3:49 am, January 06, 2014
8. Re: How much money do I need to spend a month in Melbourne?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 08, 2015