We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bells Beach

Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Bells Beach

I've been told that only ATWAD stops at Bells Beach on the Great Ocean Road now due to increased entrance fees. Is that a necessary stop? ATWAD is now much pricier than the others - raised their prices to cover a stop at Bells Beach.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,504 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bells Beach

Hi,

it worth it? Depends on the size and direction of the swell but there is always Winkipop and Thirteenth if there is some swell about and Bells isn't working.

BTW what's "ATWAD"?

Cheers,

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bells Beach

Bells Beach is an iconic surfing location but if you're not really 'into surfing' then it probably won't mean much to you. It's a rugged part of the coast and can be spectacular if the waves are pumping. However, the scenery and beach are similar to what you will see as you travel further along the GOR.

J L
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
46 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bells Beach

ATWAD is the name of a tour company (A tour with a difference) - they're the company my wife and I decided to go with when we did the trip. Bells beach is one of the first stops and on the day we went (mid-nov) it was very windy and quite cold. Waves weren't that big and there were only one or two people about, definitely no surfers! Its a nice location to see but it's smaller than I imagined. I'm glad we still got to see it though! If you're not bothered about seeing it it features in the last scene in the classic Keanu reeves/Patrick Swayze movie Point Break lol

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bells Beach

If you are paying the extra just to see Bells Beach, then the answer is no. However, Bells Beach is a famous surf beach and it's more a case of "been there, done that" exercise.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bells Beach

re #3 "Bells Beach" in Point Break is actually a beach in Oregon USA!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bells Beach

If you Google Bells Beach and look at the images, you've pretty much seen it. In fact, I think the pics on Google images make it look bigger and better than it actually is.

As others have said, it's a small beach and pretty much deserted except when the surf is up.

I guess it would be a 'place of pilgrimage' for a surfer visiting Victoria but for us ordinary folk it's just another beach (with a very steep set of steps to it from the car park).

I'm not sure what you mean by >> increased entrance fees<<. It's a public beach and there are no entrance fees I'm aware of except when the Rip Curl Pro Event is on. Last time I was there, it didn't cost anything to park in the car park either.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bells Beach

Eva the local Shire started charging tour companies a fee based on passenger numbers for use of the toilets. It's been quite controversial and many tour companies just stopped including it on their itinerary.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bells Beach

Ah, I see! Do they clean the toilets more regularly now?

Oz
Level Contributor
12,504 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bells Beach

Hi,

>>Eva the local Shire started charging tour companies a fee based on passenger numbers for use of the toilets. It's been quite controversial and many tour companies just stopped including it on their itinerary.<<

What a marvelous initative! I wish they would introduce similar fees here in Port Macquarie they could even investigate a sliding scale based on size of the bus and diet of the tour passengers.

Cheers,

J L
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
46 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bells Beach

re post #5:

Aw man! I've been misled/deceived all these years. No wonder the beach looked much smaller in real life!