We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne & Beyond with 3 Young Kids

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne & Beyond with 3 Young Kids

Hi,

I apologize if this has been asked many times and I have tried searching but I get different answers from different threads, so I am quite confused.

I am a single mom traveling with 3 young boys (5,10 and 13) and we will arrive Melbourne on 18 Dec evening and departing on 31 Dec morning. I will not be driving as I am not familiar with the roads and don't think I should take the risk. I would appreciate advice and suggestions on the following:

1) Best way to go from the airport to Melbourne city center, depending which apartment/hotel I book.

2) Suggestion of an itinerary that we can follow for 12 days? My boys are very active, into theme parks, museums where we can participate, seeing wildlife but not walks into forest. I would love to go to a weekend market or farmer's market if possible.

3) Also, should we just have one base and stay in one place throughout and just make day trips? I was thinking of somewhere in the Southbank, preferably an apartment with kitchen and laundry facilities as Southbank seems to be easily accessible to restaurants, supermarkets and attractions. Any suggestion?

4) How should I travel via public transport or can we join any group tours to some of the major attractions?

I would appreciate any advice and info that anyone can give as I am pretty nervous about doing this alone with my boys.

Thank you lots in advance.

Lacie

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Melbourne & Beyond with 3 Young Kids

Hi,

PeterWellington, yes I managed to get apartments (both places) in the end, which is a huge relief. Our first place is near to Carlton Gardens, and we arrive at the airport about 615pm. So a taxi would be preferred?

I will try to book some tours - have been communicating with Melbourne Australia Tours. Vic C, is it any good? They seem to have the most reasonable prices but I don't want to go cheap and have terrible service or tours.

Thanks once again.

Lacie

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Melbourne & Beyond with 3 Young Kids

You mentioned Farmer's Markets, there are a few changes over the holiday period with some Twilight markets. The calendar on the VFMA home page shows what markets are on & when, plus you can find out info about those markets. The Slow Food Twilight market at Abbotsford Convent on the 23rd is the one I would pick. http://www.vicfarmersmarkets.org.au/

As for seeing the sights, if you feel comfortable renting a car for a few days, it will give you more flexibility with places to visit. Getting around by Public Transport is doable, it just requires a lot of pre-planning. tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255100-i278-k5…

Puffing Billy is a great suggestion, & easy to get to by train. You might want to keep some flexibility though as if we have hot enough weather for a Total Fire Ban, the steam train is replaced by a less interesting engine.

Fruit picking is very popular with children, & if you can get to the Woori Yallock area, there are a few options close to each other: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255100-i278-k5… I've personally been to Rayners & the Tractor tour is a lot of fun. Getting around without a car will be a challenge though as it's outside the city.

For your Christmas lunch, if you are on a budget, I'd take advantage of having a fridge in your apartment & self catering. Maybe put together a picnic lunch & head down to a park or the beach.

http://www.farmsoftheyarravalley.com.au/

Edited: 11:03 pm, December 07, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Melbourne & Beyond with 3 Young Kids

Carlton Gardens is very pretty and it is just on the outskirts of the CBD area. But there is a tram outside on Nicholson st too. I am not sure which street you are staying on but I guess it will be a 10-20 min walk into the main hub of the CBD (which is generally regarded as the Bourke St mall where the famous Myer store is)

If you're hotel is on Nicholson st, you can go into the city area by tram. If you're on a budget, you could use the free City Circle tram (brown/maroon/dark reddy type coloured tram) as it is free and there is a stop close to you. See this map to get your bearings:

…vic.gov.au/assets/…1112_TramCityCircle.pdf

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Melbourne & Beyond with 3 Young Kids

Depends on where you want to go. I have been on tours with different tour operators.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Melbourne & Beyond with 3 Young Kids

Hi Vic C,

I am thinking of GOR and Philip Island for the Penguin Parade.

Thanks,

Lacie

26. Re: Melbourne & Beyond with 3 Young Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 11, 2014