We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Removal of stitches

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
York,
3 posts
Save Topic
Removal of stitches

I am over from the UK and need 12 stitches removing from a medical procedure (chest and lower back).

What is my best option considering I will be staying in the CBD?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,866 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Removal of stitches

You will need to go to a GP ... this is not the sort of thing hospital emergency depts deal with. You don't have to be a regular patient to see any GP in Australia but it will probably cost you a fee.

The other option is to just do it yourself if it's the right time, it's not difficult.

Edited: 5:07 pm, November 26, 2013
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,521 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Removal of stitches

Yes, DIY was going to be my suggestion until I saw that they were on your lower back.

You'll need to see a GP. There are plenty of medical practices in the CBD. Be prepared to pay around $80 for a visit. You could try a hospital ED first, but they may not do it and even if they do you can expect to sit at around waiting most of the day while more urgent cases are dealt with first. Not a fun way to spend a day of your holidays.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,209 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Removal of stitches

I'd also suggest bringing a letter from your GP (or whoever put the stitches in) so whoever takes them out has info about what is behind/under the stitches.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Removal of stitches

Ouch. I'm not sure how you would remove stitches from a lower back yourself. I'm not sure I could.

You'll find several medical centres in the Melbourne CBD. Expect to pay around $150-$200. I would think. It is a deregulated market, so fee free to ring a couple and ask their fees.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,521 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Removal of stitches

OUch - $150-to $200? Really? I've never been to a clinic in the Melbourne CBD but if that's the price range, go to a clinic in one of the inner suburbs like South Melbourne, St Kilda or Richmond. For the cost of a tram ride you can save half that fee.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Removal of stitches

Eva it would also be because web you aren't a resident/citizen they have a separate pricing structure and no Medicare rebate.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Removal of stitches

Your estimate of $80 sounds right for a standard consult. However, it sounds like more than a standard consult to me. I'd be very surprised if they would remove those within a standard consult fee.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,226 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Removal of stitches

Private medical consultations for overseas visitors is the the full fee, and if treatment is required additional fees can apply.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Removal of stitches

Go to Medical One on level 3 of the QV Building which runs between Swanston and Russell Streets and Lonsdale and Little Lonsdale Streets. They are one of the better GPs.

Most GPs in Melbourne and its suburbs now charge you and then its up to the individual to make a claim from Medicare. As you are not an Australian citizen, you can't get a Medicare rebate so you will probably be charged $65 for the standard 15 min consult and then a bit more because it is likely to take more than 15 min.

If you are worried about the cost, Google some places and then email them for a quote.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,050 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Removal of stitches

Do you have travel insurance? Keep the receipt and claim when you get back home.