We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 days is Melbourne. Any good suggestions to my itinerary

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Topic
12 days is Melbourne. Any good suggestions to my itinerary

Hi everyone, we are a family of 3 (2 adults and 1 teenage daughter) and we will be travelling to Melbourne from new year day onwards. I appreciate if you guys & gals can help us in planning a wonderful time in Melbourne by suggesting some place to visit and things to do along the way.

My plan itinerary as follow:

Jan 1 – Arrive Melbourne in the evening. Free & easy day

Jan 2 – City visit

Jan 3 – Pick up car in the morning and head for a full day of shopping. Can anyone suggest the best place for shopping outside Melbourne downtown? As I would be doing GOR the next day, can anyone suggest a good place to stay for the night?

Jan 4 – Embark on GOR, overnight at Apollo Bay

Jan 5 – Continue GOR, overnight at Port Fairy

Jan 6 – Port Fairy to Halls Gap or Ballarat

Haven’t decide which place to go. Any suggestions which is better?

Jan 7 – Halls Gap/Ballarat to outskirt of Melbourne for the follow day to Healesville Sanctuary

Any suggestions on place to stay overnight which is near Healesville Sanctuary?

Jan 8 – Healesville followed by Phillip Island for penguins parade.

Jan 9 – Phillip Island free and easy plus Puffing Billy ride before heading back to Melbourne for the night

Jan 10 – Shopping day in Melbourne. Can recommend me any good factory outlet? I promise wife 2 days of shopping

Jan 11 – St Kilda. Free & easy

Jan 12 – Free and easy in town and evening flight back home

All comments are welcome to perfect my family trip. Thank you very much

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,865 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 days is Melbourne. Any good suggestions to my itinerary

>>Jan 6 – Port Fairy to Halls Gap or Ballarat__Haven’t decide which place to go. Any suggestions which is better?<<

Better in which way? I mean they are, well, completely different.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 days is Melbourne. Any good suggestions to my itinerary

Your itinerary looks good and not rushed at all.

Re: Jan 3 –Can anyone suggest the best place for shopping outside Melbourne downtown?

Outside of Melb CBD is Chadstone shopping centre. It is one of the largest shopping centres in Melbourne and pretty much has everything you need . They have loads of fashion shops to suit your wife and even younger fashion stores to suit your teen. Whilst the girls are shopping you can to watch a movie as there is a cinema complex inside too .But pls be aware that shopping in Australia is pretty boring when compared to Singapore!

Given that you're going along the GOR, I would suggest you stop off at the surf outlets in Geelong (on the way to GOR). They have Ripcurl, Billabong etc. Not sure if you're daughter is into these types of clothes but we went last year and very cheap compared to their normal retail stores, e.g. my teen daughter got a pair of bathers for $20 (rrp $89+)

Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 days is Melbourne. Any good suggestions to my itinerary

Do you have your accommodation booked at Phillip Island & along the GOR? It's peak holiday season, so if you haven't booked, where you stay might be determined by what you can get.

I don't think you have time to do justice to Halls Gap, Ballarat might be a better option timing wise. I'm not sure if you have checked distances, but you will be doing a LOT of driving. To stay somewhere closer to Healesville (or in Healesville!), I'd drive north of the city, through Yarra Glen maybe.

Going from Healesville to Phillip Island & back to Puffing Billy is a bit of back tracking & won't allow you much time on Phillip Island. Make sure you check the Puffing billy timetables.

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 days is Melbourne. Any good suggestions to my itinerary

Thank you for all your reply and suggestions.

Macknee - time is a factor to me in this instance. If there is a need to spend more time to explore in Halls Gap, I might have to give it a miss and go for Ballarat.

Peter - thank you for spending a thought for me. My daughter is those sporty type and definitely prefer those sports apparels. By the way, is there any suggestions on factory outlet in town?

Ellen - I have make my accommodation bookings at Apollo bay, Phillip Island and the first two nights in Melbourne CBD. The rest are left open as I have not decide where to stay. I do wish to finalised the itinerary by end of this month and complete all my bookings. Do you recommend me staying in Melbourne on the 7th night and proceed to Healesville Sanctuary on the 8th morning? I will give Puffin Billy a miss if time do not permit.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,865 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 days is Melbourne. Any good suggestions to my itinerary

>>Macknee - time is a factor to me in this instance. If there is a need to spend more time to explore in Halls Gap, I might have to give it a miss and go for Ballarat.<<

Okay, sorry, I didn't pick up on that. I thought it was simply another *best* question. Edit: In fact I think I wasn't paying attention because I was so pleased to see someone planning to allow sufficient time to enjoy the GOR :-)

Edited: 6:36 am, November 18, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 days is Melbourne. Any good suggestions to my itinerary

Macknee-no worries mate. I hope to have a nice & relax trip also.

Hope to get more comments and fine tune my itinerary ;-)

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 days is Melbourne. Any good suggestions to my itinerary

Macknee-no worries mate. I hope to have a nice & relax trip also.

Hope to get more comments and fine tune my itinerary ;-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
869 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 12 days is Melbourne. Any good suggestions to my itinerary

1. Use google map to calculate your travel times and allow time for stops. There wil be plenty of places you will want to stop and look around.

2. To see the best of Halls Gap you need to bush walk through some rugged country and this will take hours. Ballarat is in the gold fields area and has a lot for the tourist to see. You will spend a full day just to explore Soveriegn Hill.

3. Puffing Billy is in the Dandynong Ranges and this is between Healesville and Philip Island. A short trip on Puffing Billy will take no less than 2 hours of your time. At the time you are visiting will be busy so you will need to arrive early to get a seat. Most people ride from Belgrave station, but there are other stations that you can ride from.

4. The penguins come ashore from sunset which is around 9pm so expect a late return. Once again it will be busy season.

Edited: 3:55 pm, November 18, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 12 days is Melbourne. Any good suggestions to my itinerary

Hi Richie, The outlet shopping centers in Melbourne are called DFO (Direct Factory Outlets) there is one at South Wharf in the city. If you Google DFO you can see where they are.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 12 days is Melbourne. Any good suggestions to my itinerary

Adding to Kay's post, the DFO in South Wharf is better than the other DFO called Harbourtown.

There is also the newly reinvigorated Spencer Outlet centre on Spencer st (small DFO like shopping centre) It is well located in the CBD and you can easily walk or take a tram or train ,-both only few stops) The Spencer Outlet is quite small though.

Re: surf outlets. They are NOT in the Surf City Plaza shopping precinct - they are a few streets down.

The popular 'fashionable surf brand' outlets are in Baine's Court (Quicksilver/ Roxy, Rip Curl, Billabong) The prices are at up to 70% off retail. We found that the clothes were mainly last seasons e.g. pair of bikini's were reduced from $79 to $20. A boys PVC surf wallet was $6, reduced from $19. I take these prices to be a bargain and we enjoyed the bargain shopping here.