We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Myki Card

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Myki Card

Hello,

I'll be arriving Melbourne end of this month.

i wonder if i can buy MYKI card at the airport (Tullamarine Int Airport)?

My plan is to hop into the shuttle bus (901) to Broadmeadows, and then taking the train to the city.

So, where can i get the Myki card to take this option into the city ?

Not planning to take Skybus, kinda expensive!.

THanks

Mentioned in this post
Tullamarine
Tullamarine
Greater Melbourne, Australia
SkyBus
SkyBus
5,062 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Myki Card

You buy MYKI tickets at the Skybus ticket booth.

Mentioned in this post
SkyBus
SkyBus
5,062 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Myki Card

Okay. Great to know that.!

Myki tickets = Myki card (shud be the same right? )

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Myki Card

Myki tickets = Myki card (shud be the same right? ).............. Yes

Melbourne
Level Contributor
33 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Myki Card

On most buses you can now by and top up myki cards as well, but has to be cash.

However you can get a visitors pack from the skybus terminal which gives you a myki, money pre-loaded onto the myki (enough for the trip into the city where you can then re-load) and discount vouchers and maps of public transport.

It will take you a fair bit longer to get into the city this way though, admittedly cheaper yes, because you'll already have your myki but an hr trip.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,015 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Myki Card

Here's a thought Mish, you can buy the Visitor's Myki at the airport, but you don't actually have to use it to get from the airport to the city if you want a quicker trip. Get a ticket for the SkyBus and take that into the city, then start using your Myki. Saving $20-odd in exchange for trawling around (with luggage) the suburbs on a bus and a train for more than an hour is not worth it IMO.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Myki Card

I agree with YorkF: Cost of Skybus (single) - $17 (cheaper if you buy a return); cost of 2 hours zone 1 + 2 on Myki - $5.92. Saving by not using Skybus - $11.08 (although in theory you can continue to use the Myki fare for the rest of the 2 hours, and you might use the Myki to get from the Skybus terminal to your accommodation).

But, at the simplest, is the hassle/time factor really worth $11.08?

Edited: 3:00 am, October 05, 2013
Mentioned in this post
SkyBus
SkyBus
5,062 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Myki Card

While I've never been an advocate for the 901 bus now that the PTV have moved the stop I may be tempted to give it a try. Instead of being a couple of hundred metres past T4 it's now opposite T1 so quite convenient to both International and Domestic terminals. I still wouldn't like to be hanging around Broady Station at night on my own though.

8. Re: Buying Myki Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 07, 2014