We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burwood distance

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Burwood distance

My husband will be working at Deakin University, Burwood campus for several months. Due to accomodations issues and desire to be in the city, we have decided to split our stay in two. Spend 2 months in Burwood and then 2 months in the CBD. My question is: on google maps it looks like it around 13 KM from CBD to Deakin, but the public transit site says that trip is over an hour long. That seems like a long way. It is unclear if that is a zone 1 trip or zone 2. Does anyone know? (Can I say I do not like the MYKI system!!)

Also, my husband is considering buying a bike off of Gumtree and using it. (He bikes to work at home). Is that a viable option from the CBD?

Thanks for any help.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burwood distance

As a former Deakin student who had to travel through the CBD to get there, I advise as follows:

When it is not peak hour or school drop off and collection time, you can get from Burwood to the CBD in about 20 minutes. When it is peak hour it’s an absolute nightmare and can take up to and over an hour.

There are a few different ways to get there:

1) Catch the number 75 tram from Flinders Street.

2) Catch any train that stops at Camberwell Station (there are about 3 of them), walk the 5 mins from the train station to Camberwell junction and catch the 75 tram

3) Drive

4) Other trains and trams and buses.

I always went with option 1. It takes just under an hour in peek time but I liked it because I would get off the train at Flinders Street, get on the tram and then I stayed on the tram until it stopped right out the front of Deakin. It was essentially forced study time.

2) The train/tram combination is generally quicker, but there is the disruption of getting on, getting off, getting on, getting off. However, this may be the best solution if your husband wants to ride his bike. You can take bikes on trains (not sure about trams though).

Box Hill station is also near Deakin. I think there is only 1 train line that goes through it, but it’s a major station and he could also ride from there.

3) Driving is not going to be an option for you, but I would say the bike read is feasible. There are bike racks and there are also showers on the ground floor of the he2 building if my memory serves correct -just next to the gym. St Kilda Road, Toorak Road which becomes Burwood Highway would be the most direct route but I could not guess how long it would take to ride.

4) There are other trains and tram combinations that you can take and there are buses too, but for your purposes the one in 1) and 2) are the most relevant ones.

As to the Myki system, most of us hate it. Don't get Melbournians started on what a waste of time and money it has been! Hubby should just be charged for zone 1 is my understanding, but Myki should also be user friendly and economical but that's a story for another day

You may also find these links useful:

deakin.edu.au/campuses/burwood-getting-there…

yarratrams.com.au/using-trams/…

ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/metropolitan-zones/

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burwood distance

I don't want to get into the politics of whether MYKI is a good or bad system, or whether there is a better system around. The fact is, MYKI is our public transport ticketing system and I want to help you understand it more. MYKI really is not hard to use. As a passenger who will be using public transport over several months, the best thing to do is purchase a MYKI card when you arrive here. You can purchase a card from a number of outlets, including, 7-elevens or premium train stations. Once you have purchased a card, all you need to do it put (enough) money on the card before you travel. Again, you can do this at 7-elevens or most train stations (just to name a few). You need to touch on at the start of your journey and at the end. The system will automatically deduct the amount off your MYKI card. It really is that easy.

ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki/buying-your-myki/

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burwood distance

Sorry, but I should of added more. If you are travelling on public transport every day, or most days over a given period, then a MYKI pass would be best. For example, if you are travelling from the city to Burwood on 6 consecutive days or 6 days out of 7, then get a 7 day MYKI pass. But if you are travelling just 2 or three times a week, then it's best to stay with the MYKI money and just top up your card before travelling.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burwood distance

I would go with option 1 given by Ktsnowowl - your husband should just get the 75 tram from the city straight to Deakin. If it ends up being 1-1.5hr+ every day, he could then give the tram + train option a shot (getting the train to from the city to Camberwell station and then a tram from there to Deakin).

Both of these options keep you in Zone 1.

I would not look into getting a train to Box Hill. Box Hill is my closest train station and very accessible to the city with 2 lines going through it...however it puts you in Zone 2, so suddenly your transport costs get a fair bit more expensive!

Riding a bike between the city and Deakin is definitely feasible, but I don't know how long it would take.

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burwood distance

Thank you all for your help! Just a couple more questions: 13 Km taking an hour on tram? Is the tram really slow? That seems like a long time for a short trip down a pretty straight road. Also, if we get the MYKI pass for zone 1 and then on the weekend travel out to a zone 2 location do we pay full fair again? Or does it know and charge a portion added fee for zone 2 only? And if that is the case, can we keep both MYKI money and a MYKI pass on the same card?

2nd: if he chooses to bike ride, are there dedicated bike lanes in Melbourne? We were also looking at the rails to trail pathways for fun, but the ones close by are in the city area. We are wondering if you are riding with cars or not.

Thanks!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Burwood distance

Tram run on tracks in the centre of the road & the 75 tram route is on roads with heavy traffic in peak hour. There are also a lot of tram stops, so in peak hour the tram will be stopping a lot to let people off & on. So yes, it can take an hour on the tram, especially in peak hour. Driving in peak hour will take a similar amount of time.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Burwood distance

And yes, there are dedicated bike paths around Melbourne. Some are on main roads into the CBD, but not sure which ones. There are a few which are more for weekend bike rides. If you google bike paths in Melbourne, you will find maps.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Burwood distance

In response to what happens if you get a Zone 1 Myki Pass and then travel in Zone 2 - you need Myki Money on your card which will cover the Zone 2 portion of travel:

-------

Travel in other zones

To travel outside your myki pass zone, simply keep your myki topped upwith sufficient myki money to pay for this trip. For example, if you have a Zone 1 myki pass and travel in Zones 1 and 2, your myki pass covers the Zone 1 portion of your trip and myki money pays for the Zone 2 portion of your trip.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Burwood distance

"13 Km taking an hour on tram"

The purpose of the tram is to cover as much ground as possible, it runs through a number of places that you would never pass if you were driving directly. Stops are usually about 500m apart, so you also have to include time for stoping to let people on at off at each stop. Deakin is the 63rd stop on that tram line, so when you think of it that way and that it doesn’t go the way you would if you drove, you can understand why it takes an hour.

Melbourne has loads of bike lanes and yes we do ride with the cars. Have a play on Google and you will find many and varied routes all over the CBD and inner and outer Melbourne.

10. Re: Burwood distance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 06, 2014