We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making local calls & email using my mobile phone.

Singapore
9 posts
Save Topic
Making local calls & email using my mobile phone.

Hi,

Kindly advice what should I do & purchase to use my mobile phone to make local calls & emails in Victoria. Where can I purchase in Melbourne?

THANK YOU.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Making local calls & email using my mobile phone.

Hi,

quick- upon arrival at airport(take it from Singapore,then T2), there is a celco shop-Optus.

Optus's parent company is SingTel.

Then get prepaid SIM,choose the appropriate rate plan- their $2 days provides unlimited locals call and unlimited data.

There is a MVNO- Lebara that rides on Vodafone's network which supposedly provides also good coverage and competitive rates.

http://www.lebara.com.au/

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Making local calls & email using my mobile phone.

Hi again, sorry, too late to add whilst in edit.

Another MVNO, which rides on Optus network is amaysim- but sincerely I have not used them.

Similarly with Lebara- used it once,which I found not to my personal preference.

So I used Optus and Telstra (as I need the coverage as I travel extensively in Australia- from WA to QLD vide MEL, ADL, SYD- driving).

For VIC, I will just suggest Optus as with the store in the airport- they can quickly activate your SIM, put you on your chosen rate plan,and you can test the phone straight away to ensure APN settings(for your mobile data) and SMS and MMS settings are all in place and then you are set to go.

You need to present your passport, then inform them of your place of accommodation address in MEL.

Singapore
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Making local calls & email using my mobile phone.

Thanks a lot... :)

Peterborough
Level Contributor
68 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Making local calls & email using my mobile phone.

Don't want to highjack the thread but we are also flying into Melbourne but the flight lands at 6am, will the Optus shop be open does anyone know please??

Thanks

Ken

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Making local calls & email using my mobile phone.

Yes Ken the shop opens at 6am.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,977 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Making local calls & email using my mobile phone.

You can get better deals than Optus ... check out Woolworths or Lebara ..

http://www.plancrunch.com.au/plan/prepaid

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Making local calls & email using my mobile phone.

Hi Ken,

by the time you deplane, immigration and customs, the Optus store is already open (a check at MEL airport website,shows it opens at 0630hrs).

melbourneairport.com.au/Shopping-Eating/…

Peterborough
Level Contributor
68 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Making local calls & email using my mobile phone.

Many Thanks

Should have done that, just being lazy!!

Ken

9. Re: Making local calls & email using my mobile phone.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 30, 2014