We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

connecting flights at Melbourne

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
connecting flights at Melbourne

Hi we are travelling to Wellington next year from LHR via a connecting flight from Melbourne with Qantas and I was wondering about the procedure once we get to Melbourne. Im guessing our luggage will automatically be checked through to Wellington but do we need to clear security and immigration or just head directly to whatever gate our Wellington flight will depart?

This is the first time weve encountered connecting flights and not sure of process, many thanks in advance for any replies

Andy

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: connecting flights at Melbourne

Assuming its QF all the way on one ticket, your luggage should be checked straight through to Wellington. When you get to Melbourne you don't clear immigration or customs. Go straight to the transfer desk. You'll be given directions when you land. You'll be directed to the Gate for your next flight. Easy!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: connecting flights at Melbourne

Assume u hold a passport that allows transit without visa eg. UK

Newcastle
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: connecting flights at Melbourne

Yes we are travelling QF all the way, QF10 to Melbourne then another QF to Wellington and I do have a UK passport

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: connecting flights at Melbourne

I agree with Eva. Your baggage should be checked through to Wellington (but do keep an eye on this to make sure that it happens when checking in at LHR), so there will be no need for you to go through customs or immigration. This means that you'll stay in the transit area in Melbourne. Follow the signs for transit passengers, and normally there would be a security check before you get to the departure area (although I can't speak from personal experience about Melbourne). I'm not sure that I understand why the country of your passport is relevant, however.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: connecting flights at Melbourne

" I'm not sure that I understand why the country of your passport is relevant, however"

because not all nationalities can transit Australia without a visa.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: connecting flights at Melbourne

I stand enlightened:

www.immi.gov.au/visitors/transit/no-visa.htm

(Strange, though, given that transitees are confined to the transit area, but there you go!)

Edited: 4:22 am, August 18, 2013
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: connecting flights at Melbourne

might be something to do with people claiming refugee status on arrival.....who knows.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: connecting flights at Melbourne

Upon arrival in Melbourne, as long as your onwards flight is within 8 hours & ur sure your bags have been tagged through to WLG, just follow the sign for International Transit passengers. There will not be any transfer desk, the sign is easy to miss and above your head just before you reach the duty free shop. You will need to clear security before entering the departures area, so any liquids, aerosols and gels larger than 100mL will be confiscated, eg. Cans of soft drink off your QF10 flight.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: connecting flights at Melbourne

"so any liquids, aerosols and gels larger than 100mL will be confiscated"

are you sure?

I thought the liquid/gel rules had changed for international transfer at Australian airports.

10. Re: connecting flights at Melbourne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 20, 2014