We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preston, England wants to know about Preston, Australia!

Preston, England
2 posts
Save Topic
Preston, England wants to know about Preston, Australia!

I'm from the Lancashire Evening Post, the local newspaper in Preston, England. We're currently writing a feature for our website ( [url]http://www.prestontoday.net[/url] ) on other Prestons around the world and would appreciate if some of you could tell us about YOUR Preston in Melbourne, Victoria.

Preston is England's newest city (it was granted city status in 2002 to mark the Queen's Golden Jubilee, making it England's 50th city in the 50th year of the Queen's reign), although as a town it has existed much longer than this.

Preston got its name from Roman times and means "Priest's Town". One explanation of the reason for this name is that it refers to how ownership of the land was passed between various churches.

Like most towns and cities in England, Preston's citizens are fiercely proud of their soccer team (or football team, as we call it!), Preston North End. Preston North End used to be one of the best teams in the country, and is also one of the founding members of the FA, the governing body of football in England.

If anyone can help us with this they will most likely get a mention on the feature itself and we will post a link up here on the forum. And if there are any questions anyone has about Preston in England, we will be glad to answer them. Thanks!

Melbourne, Victoria
Level Contributor
19 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Preston, England wants to know about Preston, Australia!

This is the local government site for Preston.

www.darebin.vic.gov.au

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Preston, England wants to know about Preston, Australia!

Hi there Mr EveningPost. A couple of websites you might like to checkout (Preston is in the northern suburbs but as I live in the South East rarely pass through unless leaving the city - in a suburb called Berwick appropriately enough - know anyone on a Berwick , Northumberland paper-lol)

…monash.edu.au/ncas/…preston.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preston,_Victoria

www.darebin.vic.gov.au (the local government area as already mentioned)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Darebin

It is a very ethnically diverse area in the northern suburbs with a large out of town (I think you call them) or regional shopping centre in East preston - Northland.

www.northlandshopping.com.au

A good site to get an overview of the layout of the place is "Whereis"

www.whereis.com

Type Preston in the suburb and Victoria as the state.

I am sure there are people that will come along that can give you more of a over-view on a personal basis.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Preston, England wants to know about Preston, Australia!

Forgot to add- two local sporting teams - one Australian or Aussie Rules Football is:

bullants.footballvic.com.au - the Northern or Preston Bullants.

And for Soccer fans - the Preston Lions:

members.optushome.com.au/nrenee/LionsSC1.htm

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Preston, England wants to know about Preston, Australia!

Hello Mr EveningPost

I was brought up in Preston, living there from 3 months of age until about 25yo. I now live in a nearby suburb about 3kms away so I guess I know the area fairly well.

Preston is a suburb rather than a town and is about 10kms north of the centre of Melbourne. Previously farmland it was first developed as a Suburb in the early 1900's but really took off in the period between the World Wars and then especially after WW2.

It has a great diversity in areas and arcitecture ranging from the older Victorian style housing in the original area of West Preston to a lot of Califorian bungalow type houses in the eastern & northern parts. There is also a lot of semi-detached style government housing in the southern & Eastern areas.

I would say Preston has always been a working class residential suburb due to its proximity to some large industrial areas without actually having much industry in the suburb itself. This has also made the area popular with migrants and ever since the first wave of post WW2 migration, the area has had a mixture of cultures. Firstly in my childhood came the English and Scots,Italians & Greeks, followed by others from Southern Europe and then more recently migrants from South East Asia and Africa. In the 1950's & 60's there was a big migrant hostel in East Preston & I guess as new arrivals found jobs locally they settled in the area that they had become used to.

It is now a very diverse cultural mix which can be best seen at Preston Market and the nearby shopping strip High Street (very original eh). There are many Vietnamese, Greek, Italian, Sudanese, Chinese and every nationality shops in the area. The suburb & surrounds are also popular with Muslims of all nationalities following the building of one of the biggest Mosques in the country in West Preston

Politically Preston is as you would expect very much a Labor area. In fact it forms part of the electorate of Scullin in which Labor traditionally has its largest majority in Australia and has never been held by the Liberals (our Conservative party).

As someone else has said there are 2 major sporting teams based in Preston one Aussie Rules and the other football(soccer). Neither are in the National leagues and play in the next level down state based competitions.

There is also a major regional shopping centre (Mall) in Preston called Northland which at one time was the largest shopping centre in the Southern Hemishere.

Finally during the recent property boom Preston was rediscovered as a bargain buy area with many peolpe who couldn't afford houses in the inner suburbs buying up the "renovators delights" in this area due to the prices and its easy access to the CBD by car or on the train and tram s which run through the suburb to the city.

Preston, England
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Preston, England wants to know about Preston, Australia!

Thanks very much indeed guys. Especially you John, your first hand experience will be very useful.

This is a much better response than I got on a forum about American locations. All my posts there got deleted and I was banned indefinitely!

Should this article get published, I'll post the link here. If those who have contributed want a mention then leave your full name here. Thanks again.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Preston, England wants to know about Preston, Australia!

Hehe - i think both our nicks (6andy6 and Aussie-John) just give away at least half our names. :)

Preston
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Preston, England wants to know about Preston, Australia!

Hi there LEP,

I am a Preston, England resident and later on this year off on a trip to OZ, and probably will make it to the other Preston. My dad has already been to the Penwortham in Australia! Small world.

Lancs, England
Level Contributor
244 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Preston, England wants to know about Preston, Australia!

I am too am from Preston Lancs and am planning on going to this other Preston in December!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Preston, England wants to know about Preston, Australia!

Well I don't know that much about Preston Melb but I have stayed at Norhcote nearby quite a bit.

And yes they are interesting suburbs to live in (if you like that sort of thing) but I would say to potential visitors is that it is a basic Melbourne suburb - so don't be expecting a great touristic experience.

It certainly is not gorgeous like Penwortham in the Clare valley of South Australia.

And before you go calling me anti Melbournian guys - this morning I woke up in the 8th floor penthouse that I now call my office in Melbourne and looked out at the balloons drifting over the city from one window and then the old warehouses and the city high rise from the other window and thought - well Melbourne does have some interesting aspects to it and was wishing I had my camera with me.

EJH
Melbourne
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Preston, England wants to know about Preston, Australia!

i saw the hot air balloons thsi morning too! the sky was blue and pink this morning and i also wished i had my camera!!!

and I agree there is no need for tourists to go to Preston, there is nothing in my opinion that a tourist needs to see, but for the novelty sake go for it! I know when i was travelling in the US i went to a place called twin peaks just to take a picture of it..because of that movie...shes dead...wrapped in plastic!!!!! oh well it was on tv at the time i travelled!

I think many of Australia's suburbs are similar to English ones such as Brighton etc etc

cheers!