We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-price restaurant in CBD for dinner

Melbourne
Level Contributor
453 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Mid-price restaurant in CBD for dinner

Hi,

I am organising a dinner for a group of women in their 30s for a Saturday night in August. Some are travelling from interstate and staying in the CBD so we want to eat somewhere in the CBD. There will be about 10 people.

No specific preference for quisine as long as there is vegetarian and non red meat options.

Looking for something with meals under $25 and that takes bookings. I haven't eaten dinner in the city for years so am not familiar with restaurants and don't want to book somewhere that will be disappointing.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
356 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid-price restaurant in CBD for dinner

Hi,

There are plenty of options in that price range. A couple I've enjoyed lately, are the Portland hotel in Russell Street, good food in a boutique brewery often with live background music, or the Blue Train on Southbank. If you book ask for a table overlooking the yarra with views across to Flinders Street station and the city.

I'm sure you will get plenty of other advice.

Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Flinders Street Station
Flinders Street Station
1,534 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Southbank
Southbank
1,861 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid-price restaurant in CBD for dinner

I'd suggest Fed Square- quite a few different restaurants there- mainly mid range and would cover your dietary requirements.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid-price restaurant in CBD for dinner

Edited: 10:42 pm, July 14, 2013
Mitcham, Australia
Level Contributor
221 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid-price restaurant in CBD for dinner

Spaghetti Tree in Bourke Street, between Exhibition and Spring Streets, would be ideal.

But, having said that, there are countless eating options in Melbourne; enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Spaghetti Tree
Spaghetti Tree
647 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid-price restaurant in CBD for dinner

I thought Blue Train didn't take reservations.

And last time I was in Melbourne, I found it difficult to find restaurants in the CBD that were not $35 for a main. I will be interested in any other suggestions.

The pre-theater option at Florentino Grill might be good if you can eat early. $40 for two courses, a glass of wine and coffee.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Level Contributor
453 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid-price restaurant in CBD for dinner

Thanks for your suggestions, I have been to a few of those places but not for many years so its good to know they are still recommended.

According to the Blue Train website they now take bookings for groups of 5 or more. But some of the reviews suggest it is in the process of moving floors so not fully functional. I will check that out before booking too.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mid-price restaurant in CBD for dinner

You could try Movida or Red Spice Road - get a few dishes to share so you have a variety and the the average cost might still meet your budget. I think the reviews for these two on Trip Advisor are good.

Fed Square restaurants like TimeOut or Feddish are mid-priced option but you also get mid-quality meals. Still the location is central and Fed Square would be lively place.

Edited: 9:41 pm, July 17, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Red Spice Road
Red Spice Road
1,069 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
8. Re: Mid-price restaurant in CBD for dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, July 19, 2014