We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outside Melbourne CBD. BY TRAIN

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Outside Melbourne CBD. BY TRAIN

Any recommendaion where i can enjoy one day of travel by train outside Melbourne CBD.like we have it in Sydney to the blue Mountain.

Appreciate some help on how to do this trip by train and walking.

Thanks.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outside Melbourne CBD. BY TRAIN

Geelong is a really interesting and nice place and it is about a one hour train ride from Melbourne. I always saw Geelong as an industrial centre but I was there recently and it has a vibrant cafe boardwalk, there is the Ford museum... it's great. Enjoy!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Outside Melbourne CBD. BY TRAIN

Hi,

I am only take a train and what can i expect to see in Geelong there. How long should i be there?

I totally do not know what they have there.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outside Melbourne CBD. BY TRAIN

Bendigo and Ballarat are interesting and vibrant regional cities worth visiting. Both have a rich history. Sovreign Hill at Ballarat is a great day out. The Gold rush Special is a

Coach that meets the train and takes

You to Sovereign hill from the station. Check out www.sovreignhill.com.au for details.

Another great spot for a day out is Daylesford. Take the train to Woodend (itself a lovely town to spend some time in) and then transfer to a coach service to Daylesford.

There are also regular train services to The Dandenong Ranges where you can do some walking but to really see the area you be better off with a car.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outside Melbourne CBD. BY TRAIN

Kyneton or Daylesford are much more appealing than Geelong. Cute boutique stores, country views, excellent dining.

Or you could go to Ballarat and head to Sovereign Hill.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outside Melbourne CBD. BY TRAIN

Yes, equally good suggestions for a day trip from Eva and Kateoz!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outside Melbourne CBD. BY TRAIN

I agree, great suggestions from Eva & Kateoz. But what are you interested in seeing - beach, history, architecture, art, country towns, bush, animals? Then we can make more suggestions to suit you.

This site should help you to see what Victoria has on offer too: http://www.visitvictoria.com/Regions.aspx

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
869 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outside Melbourne CBD. BY TRAIN

The Best Train Trip in Melbourne. Take the electric suburban train from Flinders Street Station to Belgrave (1 hour 15 mins) and then take a short or extended trip on the Puffing Billy Railway www.puffingbilly.com.au Allow the best part of one day to do this. Or from Belgrave you may do a walk through the Sherbrooke Forest.

Edited: 1:55 am, July 16, 2013
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Outside Melbourne CBD. BY TRAIN

I'd second Puffing Billy, the trains going there from the CBD are regular and it's easy to find. My advice would be to consider taking some food with you, I found there to be very limited options at the park area where the train stops (pies, chips, sandwiches).

The Puffing Billy train is great, it has open sides (no window panes) so you get a great view & is perfect for photos.

Mitcham, Australia
Level Contributor
207 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outside Melbourne CBD. BY TRAIN

I agree about Puffing Billy but having said that the V/Line travel experience to the places mentioned is good and the fares are most reasonable.

An option for Puffing Billy is to take the rather long trip to Gembrook one way and return by public bus (included on your myki). That should cut some time from your day. It might be possible to include a bus trip on route 663 to or from Lilydale (an excellent round trip from Melbourne CBD) with some more wonderful scenery in the Dandenong ranges.

For a shorter round trip, take the train to Croydon, bus 688 across the Dandenong Ranges (possibly stopping at Olinda where there are several cafes and restaurants) to Upper Ferntree Gully and back to Melbourne on the train. Or in the opposite direction; all easily done!

Geelong is quite good; a short walk from the historic railway station to the wharf area that has been redeveloped in recent years providing lovely views across the water from the many cafes and restaurants in the precinct.

My daughter raves about Kyneton but the walk from the station to the town (along a pleasant safe road) is about one kilometer.

Another excellent outing is the bay round trip; train to Geelong, bus to Queenscliff, ferry to Portsea, bus to Frankston and train to Melbourne. Allow a day. The ferry has its own fares but everything else is included on myki so it's not an overly expensive day out.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Outside Melbourne CBD. BY TRAIN

Hi Haydn,

I am interested to go to Geelong. Can I catch a V /LINE train from Southern Cross Station to Geelong. I have not been on V/line train, how is the journey? One hour trip and total plus return is 2 hrs. Do i buy ticket from Station or by Miki card and top up money. How to go about doing it, could you advise me. My wife and i would like to enjoy a train ride there and could you let me know what can i see and do there. Would it be a long walk around or just a city areas.

Awaits.