We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear to Melbourne in mid-August?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear to Melbourne in mid-August?

I'll be heading to Phillip Island, Mornington Peninsula, Melbourne City itself, Dandenong Ranges, and perhaps a one day set aside for GOR.

I'll be travelling with my husband on 17th August, for 7D5N.

May I know what kinda winter wear will be sufficient for our trip?

Mentioned in this post
Phillip Island
Phillip Island
Victoria, Australia
Mornington Peninsula
Mornington Peninsula
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Dandenong Ranges
Dandenong Ranges
1,048 Reviews
Dandenong, Australia
Melbourne...
Level Contributor
211 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear to Melbourne in mid-August?

August in Melbourne and region is usually cool. But Melbourne is a 4 seasons in one day sort of place.

On average the temp drops right off once the sun goes down. Nights are usually around 5-8 C but can drop to -1 or 2 if a cold snap hits or your out in the yarra Valley etc. Day time 14-18 is about average but you may get days up to low 20's or low teens. T shirt, shirt and windcheeter should do along with a light rain coat. You can always get cheap jackets etc. At the Vic Market and the like. Cold winds come in from the south and warm weather from the north.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Yarra Valley
Yarra Valley
Victoria, Australia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear to Melbourne in mid-August?

Thanks Christopher!

Do you think a long john is necessary?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear to Melbourne in mid-August?

Being from Simgapore you will be unaccustomed to the cold and will feel itinerary than locals. Long

Johns are a good idea. August is often the coldest month of the year in Melbourne.

If you are planning an evening out in the open at Philip Island, long johns together with scarf, beanie, gloves and lots of layers are a must. It will be freezing! And take a blanket to sit on.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear to Melbourne in mid-August?

Thanks Eva! :)

Do I need to bring umbrellas/ponchos?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear to Melbourne in mid-August?

Absolutely! ☔

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear to Melbourne in mid-August?

Yes, an umbrella is really handy! You will want to layer your clothes, as it can be cold out. I'd suggest long sleeve t-shirts & fleecy tops, with maybe a light to medium jacket over top. You won't need long johns in Melbourne, but they will keep you warm watching the penguins come in on Phillip Island. A hooded garment or beanie, & maybe a scarf & gloves will help with warmth too. It can also get really cold along the GOR, so layering there will be good too.

Edited: 3:18 am, July 08, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Phillip Island
Phillip Island
Victoria, Australia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear to Melbourne in mid-August?

Thank you all for the helpful replies!

I guess I will be wearing long john, a thick tee (& jeans), a hooded jacket and a scarf to fight the cold.

It's always so warm in Singapore that the coolest I experienced is at 27C during the monsoon season. I better layer myself up in Melbourne!

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear to Melbourne in mid-August?

One thing to watch with jeans is that if they get wet, they are really uncomfortable (& cold). I prefer to wear Ponti pants when travelling in Winter as they are a bit warmer & they dry quicker.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
211 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear to Melbourne in mid-August?

If your not used to the cold you will need to rug up. The cold wind can make it feel sub zero. Block the wind out and you feel warmer. sitting on the beach will be very cold. Long john or thermals are a good idea for nights out. Then again a sunny day and feels very nice. As said staying dry is very important. a light rain jacket in the bag is a must, it will keep you dry and block the wind.

Hope we have not painted a negative picture. Melbourne and Victoria is wonderfull place. The changing weather is part of its charm.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear to Melbourne in mid-August?

Of course Melbourne is going to be a great place to be at! And you are right, it's the changing weather which we would like to experience too! :)

Looks like I will have quite a bit to pack for the trip!

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia