We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closest lighthouse from Melb? For a short visit in Winter

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Closest lighthouse from Melb? For a short visit in Winter

Hi Melb Experts,

I would like to take the family for a short drive out of Melb to visit a lighthouse (we live in the eastern suburbs) We like bushwalks and the outdoors but our 11year daughter gets car sick. So were are looking for somewhere, preferably coastal ( no more than 1.5 hours from Melb) where we have something to do, eg. visit to a lighthouse. We are not big shoppers either.

We will have time to stay overnight but I'm not expecting that we'll get accommodation during school holidays at this late stage of the game.

Thanks in advance. Peter.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Closest lighthouse from Melb? For a short visit in Winter

I came across this website a few years ago. Photos, histories, fascinating read.

http://www.lighthouse.net.au/lights/index.asp

Sorry about your daughter, I was the same way but grew out of it, hopefully it will cease to be a problem for your daughter soon too.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closest lighthouse from Melb? For a short visit in Winter

Hi MacKnee - thank you for the website. It is outstanding!

Docklands Melbourne
Level Contributor
144 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Closest lighthouse from Melb? For a short visit in Winter

Try Cape Schank Lighthouse on the Southern Tip of the Mornington Peninsula... an easy drive from the E Suburbs....

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,827 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Closest lighthouse from Melb? For a short visit in Winter

The other direction, towards the Queenscliff lighthouse also makes for a great day out. Lots to do and see in Queenscliff other than look at lighthouses (there are two of them there). There's also a really good walk along the clifftops that goes to the lighthouse. Apart from all the cafes, there are loads of art galleries and the maritime museum is worth a visit.

Last time we spent a weekend there we did a really interesting guided walk which was run by the local Historical Society. It gave a fantastic insight into Queenscliff's chequered history and it's fascinating connection to the Baillieu family. I can't remember how much it was - either free or just a few dollars.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Closest lighthouse from Melb? For a short visit in Winter

Thanks all - some brilliant suggestions, much appreciated. Peter.

Edited: 3:37 am, May 29, 2013
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,403 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Closest lighthouse from Melb? For a short visit in Winter

It's a little further away but I've always liked the lighthouse at Aireys Inlet. Plus if you daughter ever watched'Round the Twist' that is the lighthouse in the show.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Closest lighthouse from Melb? For a short visit in Winter

Thank you ShazDwn & all for the hints Just to let you know that we ended up at the Split Point lighthouse in Airey's Inlet. I've written a short review for the benefit of other visitors too.

The short lighthouse tour was a lot of fun and my teenage daughter was secretly happy that she was 'on location' (I didn't know it, but she was a Round the Twist fan - so much for keeping tabs on what our kids watch on TV. All I'll say is that at least it was on ABC... )

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,403 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Closest lighthouse from Melb? For a short visit in Winter

Thanks for reporting back Peter - great to here you had a good day :)

9. Re: Closest lighthouse from Melb? For a short visit in Winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 13, 2014