We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

See Aussie Rules game with Local Host?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
See Aussie Rules game with Local Host?

Has anyone done this? I see it offered through several websites but can't find it on the forum or reviewed under "Things to Do". It says the host will explain the rules and involve you in the game with competitions and prizes. I'll be with my two teenaged sons who are into American football, so I'd really like to take them but don't know if this is worth the extra cost.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: See Aussie Rules game with Local Host?

How much does it cost? To me the best experience would be to ask the locals sitting around you, I'm sure they'll be able to tell you the rules! We had some young Scandinavian tourists sitting next to us at the AFL in Sydney & my DH was more than happy to give them his interpretation of the game (poor things!)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: See Aussie Rules game with Local Host?

agree it's best to wing it.

have taken many os visitors to afl games over the years and after the first quarter they are usually so wrapped up in the game and sick of asking questions about what are incomprehensible rules they just enjoy the spectacle and the action.

wouldn't waste my money on a 'host'.

ps. some of us have been following the game for more than 60 years and still get a bit bamboozled, esp by umpires' interpretation of what the rules are.

Edited: 11:47 pm, May 27, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: See Aussie Rules game with Local Host?

Don't bother paying anyone, just turn up, you'll get a seat at most games. Go to a match at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) rather than at Etihad as the atmosphere is much better at the 'G'. You can buy general admission tickets for $21.50 (adult), $13.50 (concession), $2.50 (child aged 6-14) and $43 (family).

Most likely you'll be seated on Level 4 with these priced tickets, which will give you a good overview of the game, but as Level 4 is up in the sky, the atmosphere is more subdued. However, if it's raining you'll be undercover.

Depending on what experience you're after, I'd pay a bit extra for a reserved seat on Level 1, where you'll be closer to the action and amongst more passionate fans.

Don't know when you're traveling, but the home and away season goes from March/April through to September, with this season's last games being played in the first weekend of September. Finals start after that, and ticket prices sky rocket and seats are harder to get unless you're a member.

The MCG also offer tours, but not on match days, but unless you're into the footy here, it wouldn't be of much interest to you I wouldn't think. Your teenagers might like the National Sports Museum though.

Finally, go to a Hawthorn game - they're on top of the ladder and you'll see how the game's played properly!!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: See Aussie Rules game with Local Host?

OH is booked up with Melbourne Sports Tours to do what you are thinking of doing. We went with them the last time to do a sports tour of Melbourne and couldn't praise them highly enough for the half day trip we did. He missed out the last time as the game he wanted to go to was sold out.

How easy is it to buy tickets on matchday for a game at Etihad? I want to see the Carlton v St. Kilda game (round 16) but because I am not a Carlton member I can't buy online in advance until 2 weeks before game and we'll have started our travels then so don't have a fixed address to get tickets sent to/can't do print at home either.

Edited: 2:51 am, May 28, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: See Aussie Rules game with Local Host?

There's some previous threads with links & info in the Top Questions. I agree that you probably don't need the extra expense of a host, just have a read up about the basic structure & rules, then choose a team the barrack for.....

Also, see if you can watch a game at home before you travel as the commentators end up explaining lot of the rules :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: See Aussie Rules game with Local Host?

Thanks for all the responses! We will be in Melbourne from July 19-23, as far as I can tell there are only two games to choose from - the 19th at Etihad (Carlton v N Melb) or the 21st at MCG (Richmond v Fremantle). I'd probably prefer the one on the 19th, since it will just be me and my sons, my daughter arrives the next day and not sure how much she'd enjoy it. I actually used to live in Melbourne in the early 90's but never really understood the game. Back then I picked Hawthorne to follow, only because their song was to "Yankee Doodle Dandy" :-) So bummed to hear that they're on top but there are no games for us to see while we're there!

The cost is $139, don't know where the seats are though. I agree that it would be fun to "wing it" and I'm sure plenty of friendly locals would be willing to help explain the rules. I liked the idea of competitions and prizes to help engage the boys in the game though...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: See Aussie Rules game with Local Host?

If you can, try to experience the footy at the MCG, especially if you're from overseas as you won't be returning anytime soon to do it properly. AFL = MCG.

L H
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: See Aussie Rules game with Local Host?

Send me a personal message when you need to purchase tickets and I will put you in touch with some guys I know who sell great members seats at very reasonable prices.

I think the best venue for footy is the MCG. We can also give you some tips on which games would be the best ones to see.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: See Aussie Rules game with Local Host?

You will not have any problems getting tickets to either game

Pakenham, Victoria...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: See Aussie Rules game with Local Host?

The Carlton vs North game is probably going to be the game with the best atmosphere. As a North supporter, there's always something about Friday nights against Carlton that get the crowd going. Shouldn't be too hard to keep your boys interested, hopefully. Most locals will be happy to help out with the rules (the ones that they can understand, anyway).