We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fine dining

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland
Level Contributor
112 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Fine dining

We are excited about our first visit to Melbourne and it coincides with a very special wedding anniversary (30 years). We would be grateful for local recommendations for a beautiful, fine dining restaurant. We love shellfish, seafood platters and beautifully done steak. We also enjoy degustation menus with matching wine. Somewhere where the tables are not too close together would be best. Transport and cost is not an issue. We will be there for three nights and hope to try something different each night. Thank you for your help

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,953 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fine dining

Vue de Monde is the first that springs to mind for me (dego) Ezard you are cheek to jowl with the neighbours

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fine dining

You could try Donovan's in St Kilda:

www.donovanshouse.com.au/0-frameset.htm

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
521 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fine dining

Press Club in Flinders Street - good degustation menu but book in advance. Jacques Reymond is excellent but again book in advance.

Edited: 4:14 pm, May 26, 2013
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fine dining

Attica recently knocked Quay off it's No 1 position as "Best Restaurant in Australia" and #21 in the world.

The food is really good, too! 😃

Auckland
Level Contributor
134 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fine dining

If you want something that you will remember for the next 5 years, then Vue De Monde, it's exceptional. I'll be there on my trip in a few days. It's EXPENSIVE but for one night don't worry about the cost and just enjoy! Attica I have also heard amazing things,but with it's recent publicity getting a setting there is nigh impossible.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,273 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fine dining

Need to book well in advance for Vue de Monde. We are going to di Stasio in St Kilda next trip and maybe a few others.

Docklands Melbourne
Level Contributor
144 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fine dining

Rise International in Docklands, a new Chinese restaurant with superb buffet (I mean absolutely Superb)... Overlooks the harbour and something different

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fine dining

A thought in terms of bookings:

All of the good restaurants mentioned above get very busy every night of the week so advance booking is essential wherever you choose.

Don't be put off trying to get a reservation because you think you may not get in - often people book months in advance and there are always cancellations. Just don't leave it till the last minute. Decide where you ant to go and book ASAP. Most of the top places take online reservations.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fine dining

For Steak - Rockpool Bar & Grill in Southbank.

http://www.rockpool.com/melbourne/

L H
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fine dining

I recently went to the Estelle in Northcote and loved their degustation menu. They have 2 sittings per night so try for the late one so you're not rushed. Restaurant doesn't seat that many people so service is excellent.

For steak, it's not always high end restaurants that have the best steak ie Rockpool doesn't rate highly on my list. I had one of the best steaks at Squires Loft on Toorak Rd Sth Yarra.

Should also mention that restaurants along Southbank look great and most are fine dining, but I found most to be disappointing.

Edited: 2:08 am, May 29, 2013