We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soccer World Cup

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield
3 posts
Save Topic
Soccer World Cup

Me and a friend from the UK will be arriving in Melbourne at the end of June. Hopefully, the England football (soccer) team will still be in the competition by then!

I was just wondering if anyone knows of anywhere in the city that we could watch the World Cup? I'm presuming most of the games will be on in the middle of the night.

Any info would be appreciated. Cheers.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Soccer World Cup

Check out this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255100-i278-k5973…

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,784 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Soccer World Cup

It will be on all over the city, you won't have too many problems finding a place to view it. One of free to air tv channels is televising every game.....only time you may have a problem seeing it live is if it clashes with an Australian game....will we be there longer than the Poms, I am sure all Aussies would love to see that.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Soccer World Cup

In your dreams Will :o)

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,784 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Soccer World Cup

Hello englishrose, so nice of you to drop in :-)). You are of course favoured to go further than us but it certainly isn't a pipe dream to think the Socceroos can't advance to the second round. Wouldn't that be something to shake the soccer world, the only country competing where soccer is third or fourth football code in their country. I don't know all of the other countries mind you, but just guessing that soccer is the number one football code in each country.

The U.S would be the only other country that I can think of where soccer isn't the number one football code.....I didn't think they had made it but just checked the betting and the U.S is in there at $67. Australia is at $87 and England is at $7.50. Hmmmmmm.

EJH
Melbourne
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Soccer World Cup

Not sure where you are staying...many pubs around Melbourne will have big screens with the games on..let us know where you are staying and ill try and give some good recomendations...

Crown at Southbank have a sports bar and big screen they will for sure show the games but as Will said if it clashes with the aussies im sure they will feature the aussies...

And if you are happy to watch it at home, as Will said a tv station will air the game so you should be able to watch it in the comfort of your hotel room, i would be suprised if they have the big screens going in Federation square which would be an electric atmosphere with all the soccer fans....

I still cant believe we have to play against Brazil.....!!! wonder what the odds are on that game!!!! :)

Sheffield
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Soccer World Cup

Cheers everybody! Looks like I should be able to see it after all!

We're staying in South Yarra for the first couple of nights, but after that we're not sure.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Soccer World Cup

Dont worry Will we ll be behind the Soccaroos as long as they are nt against us!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Soccer World Cup

Will

Great to see you talking about football again. Must observe though that for some reason you, ahem, seem to have changed codes. ;-)

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,784 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Soccer World Cup

Now now AJ, you and EJH may be having a bit of a dream run right at the moment but I have followed Essendon for a long, long time and have got pretty good value for money, so am still on the Bombers wagon and not really heaping blame on anyone in particular. Even going on Friday night to see the game against Geelong. I think we may be playing Melbourne in the coming weeks, want to give me 10 goals in.....??

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Soccer World Cup

Just a little joke Will, a bit like your 10 goals in. For what it is worth I think you've got a freat chance against the Cats, but don't you just hate it when the team you are playing has all of this backs against the wall pulicity the week that you actually play them.

I probably will go to Melbourne v Collingwood this week , although the thought of all of those mad magpie fans is enough to put me off. They even let them in the members nowdays, can you believe it? :-0