We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to carry lots of stuff fr airport

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
how to carry lots of stuff fr airport

Hello & greetings from Singapore!

Things all seem to be falling in place & we're finally moving (after some delays due to VJ's work & travelling schedule).

We're somewhat packed & even after getting rid of as much stuff as possible, we're down to 6 big luggage & 7 cartons. 7 cartons are getting shipped, which leaves 6 big luggage to move from airport to our accommodation at St Kilda.... yipee... we finally found a furnished place at chapel st. only seen the photos but it looks great!

Anyway, should I prearrange a van or can I easily get one from the airport when i arrive? What do u advice would be the best way?

Thanks

Shirin

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to carry lots of stuff fr airport

I am tempted to say .....using your hands. However, seriously, please arrange a rental car (People mover) before you arrive as no hire company can usually guarantee a certain 'type' of vehicle will be available if you just roll up. I know some of the airport bus express services do have a luggage van attached but these are not large (more like a large trailer with a hood on it) and your luggage would fill a large chunk of it taking up other passengers luggage space (although not impossible- depends on how big is your big). So it is better to hire a dedicated vehicle for yourself.

Where abouts in Chapel st is your rental accomodation (is it serviced apartments or just a standard rental) as Chapel st is a long street).

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to carry lots of stuff fr airport

Hi Sirin

Are you thinking of hiring a van as Andy suggests and driving yourself or a taxi.

Last time we arrived home, 4 people, 4 cases & 4 carry-ons, we spoke to the Transport Co-Ordinator out side the Arrivals terminal and he called us a station-wagon (estate) taxi. Had to wait a few minutes and when it came it was actually a small people mover/disabled taxi. Fit us all fine and could have fit 2 more peolpe & luggage. This would be OK for you but I don't know if you can rely on it as I don't think a normal station wagon taxi would be big enough for 5 of you & six cases

The other alternative may be a limo service as these should fit all of you and your luggage and can be prebooked online. Try www.hugheslimousines.com.au or www.vha.com.au

Both advertise Airport transfers and the later peoplemovers. Bit more than a taxi but more relaible & possibly easier than trying to find your own way after a long flight with kids.

Good Luck.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to carry lots of stuff fr airport

Hello Again

Meant to say that you will need a car seat for you 2 yo. If you won't have one with you, you should be able to organise this with a limo company, but it would rule out taxis as they almost certainly wouldn't carry one.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to carry lots of stuff fr airport

The VHA website does not appear to link into anything when i try it - says 'coming soon'

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to carry lots of stuff fr airport

Whoops, Thanks Andy

Shirin, you can contact this company (Southern Cross Chauffuer Drive) by email at - bookings@vha.com.au

There are lots of other chauffuer services as weell. These are just 2 I know of & have used or booked for work. If you look at www.yellowpages.com.au you will get a full list

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to carry lots of stuff fr airport

Whoops, Thanks Andy

Shirin, you can contact this company (Southern Cross Chauffuer Drive) by email at - bookings@vha.com.au

There are lots of other chauffuer services as weell. These are just 2 I know of & have used or booked for work. If you look at www.yellowpages.com.au you will get a full list

Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: how to carry lots of stuff fr airport

Hiya Aussie John & Andy,

Knew I could rely on 2 of u for info.

We were considering between a few alternatives.

1. Rent a car, then husband drive car with luggage & I take a cab with kids coz there's no way all the luggage & us can fit in one car, even a people mover.

2. Prearrange a van to take us all together

3. Try our luck at the airport

I'll email the company u recommended & get some costing fr them & go from there.

The place we found is next to St Michael's Grammar Sch on Chapel St. It's a 2 bedder, partially furnished at $280/wk. We dealt directly with the owner which was much easier than dealing with agents who were absolutely not interested to entertain us at all. Given that we're not able to view & are so far away, I think we're quite fortunate to have found this and at a 6 mths lease too with option to extend.

Cheers.

Shirin

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how to carry lots of stuff fr airport

I know St Michales very well- infact on Sunday dropped someone down that street thats lives on a side road (Redan st i think) running alongside. NIce treelined and a short walk to Alma Park, the Astor cinema on the corner (grand old cinema showing old movies-very classic and trendy) and short walk to the upper part of chapel st Windsor (great cafes and trendy bars- very bohemian I call it in a good way). Trams also run along chapel st down to the main shopping area and Dandenong rd is 5 minutes walk away with more trams into the city along St Kilda rd.

9. Re: how to carry lots of stuff fr airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 16, 2009