We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne to Mt Beauty

Brisbane, Queensland
4 posts
Save Topic
Melbourne to Mt Beauty

Hello

We are travelling from the Melbourne airport to Falls Creek in two weeks. We intend to leave the car at Mt Beauty and catch the bus to Falls Creek.

I would be great to get some advice on the following:

1. Does it snow in Mt Beauty? If so the car hire company has advised that we need "snow cover".

2. Would we need to fit chains travelling from Melbourne to Mt Beauty?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne to Mt Beauty

I am just wondering why you are leaving the car at Mt. Beauty...?? I have been to Falls a number of times and it is an easy drive up to the resort. You do get snow at Mt Beauty but it has to be very cold and it has to snow to very low altitudes. You won't need chains for Mt Beauty but you will need them if you progress on to Falls. It is more likely to rain in Mt Beauty than snow.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne to Mt Beauty

It certainly can and does snow in Mt Beauty but you wont need chains.

I have been to both Falls Creek and Hotham heaps of times. I would definitely leave your car in Mt Beauty. Parking In Falls Creek is at a premium and if it snows your car will get snowed in and you will also need to prepare it with antifreeze as well as chains etc. Leave it in Mt Beauty, and sit back and relax in the bus and enjoy the gorgeous views. The bus most probably will deliver you much closer to your accommodation than you will be able to park your car anyway.

If you are travelling up and down each day - definitely catch the bus as the road can be quite treacherous and busy and also again you might have to park miles from the ski lift entrances.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne to Mt Beauty

Agree with Nozzie. I have had to dig my car out of the snow at Falls Creek (about a foot) and THEN fit chains because when we were going up onto the mountain they wasn't a need to. Not a pleasant experience so anything that will ease that possible burden is good.

Yes it does snow in Mt Beauty but as mentioned it has to be very cold. Different area but i have seen snow around Mansfield on occassions (a good many years ago now) on one of my ski trips.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne to Mt Beauty

Yeah me too andy - only it seemd more like 3 feet of snow - plus then how to get the car started after a week under the snow!! Best avoided if possible.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne to Mt Beauty

If DanMaree was going to Falls in July/August I might partially agree with you both but if we get enough snow to cover cars in early June it will be a miracle.....but miracles do happen. Traditionally June will just have a couple of reasonable snowfalls, there is one due around June 2nd but they also come with a fair bit of rain as well. You can check out the long range forecast at http://snowatch.com.au/14day.php

If snow is unlikely at Falls, then it will be extremely unlikely at Mt. Beauty. I have parked at Falls a number of times and never been lucky enough to have to dig my car out (car covered means fantastic snowfalls on the runs). I also hate the fact that you have to carry chains on all the mountains, no matter what the weather.....it is the easiest money ever earned as they don't have to be fitted that often. If you do take the bus, it is a nice trip as mentioned and you won't need any chains to park at Mt Beauty.

How long are you staying on the mountain for, or are you travelling up and down each day....??

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne to Mt Beauty

Yes and if you dont carry chains the fines are horrendous. I think $200 or more.

By the way you should be expecting some v cold weather and I would think snow as a freezing cold front has just gone thru Adelaide this pm.

And Will as you probably know the weather can be very surprising in the mountains as we found when we got three inches of snow on our tents at Falls Creek on Melbourne Cup weekend a few years ago and the 4x4 wouldn't start because it had summer diesel in it.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne to Mt Beauty

Don't worry I know Nozzie, I am a weather fanatic.....study it all winter long for football (me playing), surfing and for when I can get to the snow for a ski. I did say unlikely because the mountains can be unpredictable but like anything, if you do your research you should be fine in most cases, if you take pot luck....and many people do....then you might get caught out.

There is up to 30cms forecast for this cool change you have just mentioned, June 2nd on the mountains but unfortunately the lifts won't be open and by the time they are, most of that may have gone. Early signs though are for a cold winter with hopefully good snowfalls.....just don't think we will see too much of the white stuff in June.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne to Mt Beauty

Not to mention something i hadnt thought off. Are oyu hiring a car? If so there maybe special requirements to take it above the snow line if you do. You have mentioned snow cover but also things like anti freeze in the radiator is importnant. Remeber any slight deviation outside stated intentions will see a car hire company charge like you wont believe. Just try breaking a windscreen :)

Brisbane, Queensland
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne to Mt Beauty

Hi

Thank you so much for your feed.

Yes we are hiring a car to drive from Melbourne to Mt Beauty and leaving there while catching the bus up to the lodge.

Being from Brisbane it was a safer option!

I'm a bit worried about whether it will snow. We will be there 17 June for four nights and have organised hire of ski equipment.

Should we have bothered????????

EJH
Melbourne
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne to Mt Beauty

June is the beginning of the season but at least you have reduced rates for accomm. By the way where abouts are you staying? Im very familiar with all Victorian Ski resorts and have stayed at many of thier accommodations...

If you are beginner/novice skiers I am sure there will be enough terrain open for you to have a good time.

I also think catching the bus from Mt beauty is a good idea if you are feeling nervous about the drive - its a holiday afterall!

Hope you have a wonderful time and dont forget wear layers thats more important for warmth than big bulky clothes, and make sure you enjoy a glass of gluervine by the fire - beautiful!