We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne to Sydney by car

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
derby
Level Contributor
32 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne to Sydney by car

Hi, We are 2 couples following the Lions rugby tour in July this year. We have a car and leave Melbourne on 30th June to take 5 days meandering up to Sydney where we have accommodation booked.

. My questions are:-

1. Would you recommend booking overnight accomodation in advance(we prefer not to but are not sure of availability etc)

2. Recommendations of places to stay on the way up (via the coast or lakes wherever possible). Not worried about caravan, B&B, motel etc.

3. Would you recommend a night or 2 in the Blue Mountains in early July, weather , road conditions etc before dropping in to Sydney ?

Thanks for any help or advice. Les Davis

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne to Sydney by car

Someone may contradict me, but I wouldn't worry too much about pre-booking. Even though you hit the school holidays both in Victoria and NSW, majority of holidaymakers head either for the snow (skiing) or surf (Gold/Sunshine coast). Unless you want to book a particular place which you know (or someone tells you :) will be busy, I am sure you will find something decent on your way. As to any particular recommendations, I will leave to people in the know.

Have a great trip!

derby
Level Contributor
32 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne to Sydney by car

Thanks for this. I am not sure how many other Lions tourists will be on the same route at the same time as us! Are there plenty of accommodation choices on the way up to Sydney ?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne to Sydney by car

winter school holidays are not that busy on the south coast. i think u can wing it. plenty of accommo.despite the potential influx of the rugby crowd. motels/b+bs, holiday park cabins etc.

places to stay include metung/lakes entrance, eden, pambula, tathra, bermagui, narooma, batemans bay, ulladulla, jervis bay. lots of places in between eg. bawley point/kioloa.

www.visitvictoria.com/Regions/Gippsland.aspx

www.visitnsw.com/destinations/south-coast

u can get to the blue mountains from the south coast (via the southern highlands) but it is a bit of a detour.

better, imo, to wait til u get to sydney, see what the weather is going to be like (the moutain weather in winter is changable) and get a train up.

make a day trip out of it.

u definitely dont need a car in sydney.

derby
Level Contributor
32 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne to Sydney by car

Thank you for that. I think we will just take our time going up the coast and land in Sydney on 5.7.13. We give the car back at Sydney airport. May not have the time (or weather) to pull in Blue Mountains as we only have a couple of nights in Sydney.

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne to Sydney by car

If you only have five days you will well and truly fill them with a trip between Sydney and Melbourne. It is a beautiful drive and post #3 gives some good ideas about towns to visit. The Blue Mountains are great but I think you would be rushing to fit them in and do them justice if you only have five days. Enjoy your stay and be prepared for a very patriotic Australian crowd!

derby
Level Contributor
32 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne to Sydney by car

Many thanks. I have come to the same conclusion and will give the Blue mountains a miss, this trip.

As to the patriotic crowds, I think they will need to be as the Lions will be VERY strong and based around the Welsh pack. I am told prices for food and drink in Oz are astronomical. Any tips on finding sane prices for both meals and alcohol during our trip ? I am told Pokies are good to try ?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne to Sydney by car

"I am told prices for food and drink in Oz are astronomical'

we dont think so but i guess anyone using a 3rd world currency might ;-)

to eat/drink economically stay away from tourist areas. eat at ethnic cafes/clubs/pubs/food courts and drink at local pubs/clubs. lots of restaurants are BYO (usually wine only) and even if u have to pay corkage it is usually cheaper than buying off the list.

and any contribution to our economy via the poker machine tax is most welcome.

Edited: 5:31 pm, April 02, 2013
Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne to Sydney by car

Pokies are a blight on our society but some people seem to like them, I personally cannot understand how feeding your money into a machine can be any form of entertainment. However, I am a strong advocate of trying out local customs and unfortunately, pokies seem to have become one of ours.

With food, just shop as you would at home - from the supermarket and any local markets you come across. Coles and Woolworths are our main supermarkets and there are a few independents who tend to be slightly more expensive, especially in smaller towns. Coles and Woolworths will be a similar standard to Tesco or Sainsburys. Eating at the pub is also a great idea in country towns. In the cities, head for the ethnic food areas especially Asian food (both Melbourne and Sydney have a Chinatown) as it can be very reasonably priced. Stay away from restaurants aimed purely at tourists as it will be more expensive and poor quality in general. There is an app called Urbanspoon which will give you a good idea of restaurants in your local area.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne to Sydney by car

<<the Lions will be VERY strong and based around the Welsh pack.>>

Does this mean we're set for another invasion of huge bellies in tight-stretched red t-shirts?

Edited: 9:51 pm, April 02, 2013
derby
Level Contributor
32 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne to Sydney by car

LOL. Thats me and mine too a tee! See you at the game and I will buy you a consolation pint after you lose.