We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne over Easter Weekend

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Melbourne over Easter Weekend

I am travelling to Melbourne this weekend which coincidently is the easter long weekend.

Will anything be open (shops, restaurants etc)?

We are considering going to Lygon Street on Friday night but I am worried that everything will be closed there as it will be Good Friday.

Thank you x

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
115 posts
97 reviews
1. Re: Melbourne over Easter Weekend

Hi Kaitlin

Lygon St will be open... Lygon St is always open as it is aimed for tourists

Other tourist eating areas are Hardware Lane and Southbank

Easter long weekend you can shop eat and drink to your hearts content

Bring warm clothes as it will be a bit cool windy and wet this weekend

Enjoy your stay

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
16,195 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Melbourne over Easter Weekend

Retail shops will all be closed on Good Friday. Some smaller independent supermarkets may be open.

Saturday is normal trading.

Easter Sunday, most shops will be trading. Some small shops may be closed.

Restaurants will be open.

Markets (Queen Vic and South Melbourne) closed on Friday and opened the rest of Easter weekend.

If you head towards Chinatown (Little Bourke St) everything will be open over the whole weekend.

Some restaurants in Lygon St will be closed on Good Friday, but you will certainly still be able to get a meal.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
8,082 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Melbourne over Easter Weekend

You can do a lot better than many of the restaurants in Lygon Street.

I think the best thing for Good Friday's meal is to go to an online booking service such as Dimmi and find a restaurant that you like the look of and is open that evening and BOOK...I think, these days, more things are closed on Good Friday in Melbourne than on Christmas Day ..it is a bit of a ghost town....

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Melbourne over Easter Weekend

Agree - a number of restaurants in the Melbourne CBD are closed on Good Friday. I actually found it very difficult to find somewhere for 2 of us for after a Comedy Festival show this Friday!

Saying that, places like Lygon St, Southbank/Crown and Chinatown should have most restaurants open.

2 posts
5. Re: Melbourne over Easter Weekend

The bars, clubs and pubs will they be open over the easter weekend??

2 posts
6. Re: Melbourne over Easter Weekend

The bars, clubs and pubs will they be open over the easter weekend??

Melbourne
Level Contributor
8,082 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: Melbourne over Easter Weekend

Boy if there were this many cafes etc open on Good Friday here in Melbourne the rest of the long weekend will be fine for those who are wondering..

Just had a lovely walk through the Treasury and Fitzroy Gardens on the way to and from Fed Square to see a film at ACMI...what beautiful weather we had today.

Edited: 4:21 am, March 29, 2013
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
4,745 posts
50 reviews
8. Re: Melbourne over Easter Weekend

I was in the city yesterday (Good Friday) with friends, and I can assure you that Melbourne was anything but a ghost town. It was very busy!!! Especially along Swanston St. Sure, not every shop was opened, but many cafes and a number of smaller shops were opened.

9. Re: Melbourne over Easter Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 01, 2014