We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding Tolls

YT3
Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
6 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Avoiding Tolls

Hi, If I drive from Adelaide to St Kilda, Melbourne, via the normal route/highways, will I be subject to tolls? If yes, how do I avoid it? Seems my GPS does not have an avoid tolls function/option.

Assistance appreciated please. Thanks.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding Tolls

If you come in from the west of Melbourne on the Princes Highway and across the Westgate Bridge and then you take the Kingsway or Power St exit to get to St Kilda Rd there are no tolls.

If you come in via Bendigo and the Calder Highway you will get onto the Tullamarine Motorway which has tolls.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,942 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding Tolls

If you come by the shortest route from Adelaide you will arrive in Melbourne via the Western Freeway. When you get to the Westeren Ring Route turn right and go to the Princess Freeway and the follow the route suggested by evemelb.

YT3
Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
6 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding Tolls

Thank you.

YT3
Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
6 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding Tolls

Thank you. Now I get the picture.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding Tolls

Coming from the west, the point is to get off the freeway before the tunnel, because that's where it starts to be a toll road.

You will notice that direction signs for toll roads in Melbourne are blue with orange writing, while non-toll roads are green with white writing.

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding Tolls

You can buy a day pass if you need to. I am guessing you really want to avoid tolls but just in case you accidently pass through a toll, don't stress too much and just buy a pass.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoiding Tolls

The cost is peanuts really compared to what you will be paying overall across you trip. Maybe the cost of 1 beer in a bar. consider the day pass, easy to purchase, and then you don't have to even worry about it.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,942 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoiding Tolls

If you come by the most direct route from Adelaide, the Dukes. Western Highway option and are going to St Kilda you would have to go out of your way to get onto a tolled road. The same applies coming via the coastal route, Mt Gambier, Great Ocean Road, Geelong.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoiding Tolls

There's information and links about Toll in this FAQ - tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c119403/Austr…

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,942 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoiding Tolls

Hi YTPoh

Just noticed that you are from KK.

I'll be there again mid year.